Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!



Mothers come in all shapes and forms. We always think of our real "mommy" mothers on Mother's Day. These are the super heroes who wiped our tears, let us lick the cake batter off the mixing beaters, made us popsickles out of juice in paper cups on hot summer days, showed us how to make forts out of blankets and chairs on rainy ones. My mom taught me to love loud thunder and flashing lightning. When the power would go out during a big storm, Mom would light a fire in the fireplace, and sometimes, if the rain was really coming down, we could put on our rubber boots and go sloshing in the water rushing down the gutter. Big stuff. When I was home sick from school, she would soft boil eggs and bring them with some toast and 7Up on a tray. Mom always made being sick a little bit better. Even when I was all grown up, I can remember times she would come over to help out when I was down in bed with something, and she would make Jello (sure to settle your tummy!), take care of the kids, and smooth the chaos. This is the kind of mom I always tried to be. Comforting. Soothing. Amazing. I can't say I always succeeded, but I tried.
Then there are the other amazing women in our lives: grandmas, favorite aunts, sometimes just a great neighbor or friend. They can also make a huge impact in our lives. I am lucky enough to have a wonderful grandmother, who not only nurtured me, but has had a major influence in the lives of my children. How many people are lucky enough to know not only their grandmother, but their GREAT grandmother? Well, my kids are. She is a woman who can make a meal out of anything, and cheer her Dodgers on all at the same time. She understood me when my mother didn't, and made me feel like I always had an ally in her. Lucky, lucky me! But my luck didn't end there - I have yet another woman in my life who has always been there for me: my aunt, Margie. She used to take us for rides in her convertible to the beach, let me spend the night with her at her house, loved me even when I threw up all over her bed. She helped me with my dreaded math homework, and has helped me through many a crisis in my adult life. I won't go on, because she would be completely horrified at being "outed" for her generosity. Suffice it to say that I have been blessed indeed to have three such wonderful women as my role models, and I hope that one day someone will think of me that way.
So to all of you mothers out there: Bless you for all that you do, and for the love and sacrifice you give to your children each and every day. But for you out there that are the loving grandmothers, favorite aunts, trusted friends, confidants, and mentors: Thank God for all of you. Life would not be as rich without you. Mothers try their best, but it only really comes together with the help of angels like you. Angels who use their time and talents unselfishly in the betterment of little ones (and not so little ones) around them. So to mothers and angels everywhere, here is my hope that I can, in my small way, make miracles happen for my children, nieces, nephews, and grandchildren, as you have helped perform them in my life. I love you all.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I wish I would have written more about mother's day in my post rather than how crazy my day was...Oh well! I love the pictures you posted, and how fun that they were both taken at my wedding!

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed