Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Thursday, May 22, 2008

"I don't care about the money - I just want the glory." - Quote of the day - Leslie O.

Most of us work very hard at what we do every day. And really - there's no way that anyone could properly compensate us for our labor on most days. If you're like me, it even extends beyond the work day. I commit the cardinal sin and take it home, where I go on and on ad nauseum to poor LaMar. (He makes sure he's real busy fixing dinner for most of it.) I did all of this, and all of that, and then someone wanted it different, and I had to do it all over again. You know how it goes.

Recently I had to design a powerpoint. This thing grew from a few slides to a program of gargantuan proportions. And it was full of formulas (you remember: math is NOT my forte), and graphs, and marketshare. I think it ended up being about 54 slides, but at last I finished the damn thing. It was colorful and eyecatching - something I was sure that upper management would be clamoring to find out who the brilliant designer of such a presentation was. Oh, I was proud - and the other girls were quaking, hoping they wouldn't be asked to do the same thing.
All of this was about 2 weeks ago. I had worked so hard to finish it - taking my laptop home on weekends to work on it, and when it was finally done, I was so happy. Well, yesterday my wonderful boss (and really - he IS wonderful. Just not at that moment.) tossed another paper on my desk with some figures scribbled in, and wanted 3 more slides done. Yay... I couldn't remember exactly what colors I'd used before, - let alone the formulas!- but after much sweating, I think I got a reasonable facsimile. (Background on this is that I'm never satisfied with the colors automatically supplied by the program - I always opt for the custom colors. That'll teach me...) I got some kudos from Carey (my boss) and some from a couple of the reps, but I'm by no means as famous as I feel I should be. My point being, that no matter how hard you work on something, or how magnificent it is, people tend to think that it was much easier to do than it really is. How many times do you hear "Could you just...?" or "Can't you just...?" or "Shouldn't take too long..."
Then there are the times when I have the best ideas, only to have someone else get to execute them, which is the entire subject of this post. My friend Leslie was having one of those days today. She works hard at what she does, only to have someone else get the glory many times. And that is where the famous quote of the day came from that started this whole discussion today. And it's true. Money is wonderful, and it's important. But sometimes when you've put your blood, sweat, and tears into something, whether it's a powerpoint presentation or being loving and patient with your small children, and attending all of their many games and practices, there are those days when you want to scream (and you can cry out in unison with Leslie and me) : I don't care about the money - I just want the glory!


3 comments:

  1. Oh so true! I love that first picture...Puerto Rican skies are so beautiful! I'm glad LaMar was able to photoshop the electrical lines out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really want to know why scott (or you) didn't mention this earlier! i am so excited to see your little snippets of life... i hope is well.. you know putting up with scott and all... lol

    n

    ps. i give you glory! GLORY!

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed