Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Monday, May 26, 2008

It Used to Be A Big Bean Field

Back from our overnight in lovely Costa Mesa, CA, I can say that a good time was had by all. We camped out at the Westin South Coast Plaza, which is directly across the street (and linked by a bridge) to South Coast Plaza. I used to go shopping there as a teen with Marion. (Remember, Marion - it used to be completely surrounded by bean fields. No more...) Back then it was little more than the Sears wing and a carousel. But today - ooh la la, viva la difference! It's just chock full of shops that most people can't afford at all, (Chanel, Dior, Versace, Gucci, Louis Vuitton - you get the picture) but it sure is fun to window shop... sort of. I mean, once in awhile, you really do want to buy some stuff. There's a gorgeous lingerie shop called La Perla, where panties cost about $150. I told my husband if I ever got thin enough to where I looked good in those panties, I'd buy myself a pair. Not much likelihood of that happening, actually. It's pretty much an idle threat, although if I got that thin, he'd probably go out and buy them for me. But back to the topic at hand: I must report first that the Heavenly Bed is just that: heavenly! This is the mattress we're going for. If I can sleep as well as I did in a strange bed with strange pillows, then this is the bed for me.

When we got up this morning, it was still pretty cloudy out, but we weren't discouraged. We jumped into some clothes and hoofed it across the bridge to the Boudin SF bistro where we ate a very nice breakfast: eggs, bacon and hash browns for me, and cinnamon french toast for LaMar. And then we always share. We took a spin around the mall to overcome that stuffed feeling, and I ducked into Sephora for supplies. No matter what I do, that store gets a major chunk of my money. Whoever thought up the concept of putting every cosmetic known to man in one store was a complete genius.
We walked around some more, and, looking like tourist geeks, (actually, LaMar looked like the tourist geek - I made him take the pictures, and then walked away from him) took pictures of the Frette store (where I worked in my brief retail career) and the Ralph Lauren store (the starting point of my retail zenith, where I was a RL pony girl for about 3 months before moving to Frette.) Ahhh... fond memories... and so glad I'm not doing that anymore. Pretty stuff, though.
We continued back to the hotel, snapping pictures to document the weekend: the hotel itself:

Here is the little park across from the hotel, where you can take a nice long walk through all of the buildings, and then go across the bridge and back.






Here is the pretty courtyard outside the lobby, where there was a nice waterfall and fountain to sit and listen to - very relaxing!

We ended up on the roof, looking at the view, and having LaMar snap my picture. He wasn't taking any chances that his picture would end up on the blog again. By this time it was time to go pack our things up and get out of Dodge. I snapped a picture from our room looking north, towards home, and it was looking pretty gloomy.

But as we jumped in the car, and headed towards the beach, this is the kind of day that appeared: How lovely is that? You can see Catalina and everything. Down there, the weather was perfect, the breeze balmy, and all was right with the world. We hated to trudge our way back to the clouds and gloom waiting in our neck of the woods, but all good things must come to an end, and we need to take a good long hike to work off breakfast and lunch, and then we can settle down with a little movie we've been putting off for a couple of weeks now. Tomorrow it's back to work, but we won't think about that now.

1 comment:

  1. Your weekend sounded wonderful! How relaxing...you two have the best time together. How nice! The last picture makes me miss home...you look great by the way!

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed