Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Monday, May 19, 2008

Karen & LaMar's Excellent Weekend







This past weekend was such an enjoyable one for me. It started off right when LaMar rousted me out of bed by 8:00 to follow him to the place where he was getting his brakes done, so I could bring him home. Usually (because I'm up at 5:30 every weekday morning) I like to laze around in bed on Saturdays, reading for half the morning, but then before I can get ready to go, half the day is gone. I like to do that, but it was nice, for a change, to get going a little earlier. When we got home, it was time to shower and get ready for my mani and pedi appointment. I used to have the silk wrap nails, and they looked nice for a long time, but a couple of months ago, they started looking really knarly. Turned out I had contracted a nice case of fungus. So off the nails came, and it's taken me 2 months to grow them out to where they look healthy. I'm not putting the silk wrap on again. They don't look as pretty now, but I'm kind of enjoying them au natural, and I'm really enjoying that a plain manicure doesn't take nearly as long, or cost nearly as much, as filling the others. So now my little treat is a manicure and pedicure every two weeks - especially the pedicure! I just love how my toes look freshly done, and I love the foot massage that goes along with it! (see picture - yeah, it's no foot model's foot, but it's better than me doing it myself - especially since I'm just about blind these days!)
After the mani/pedi, and some chores, we took my freshly washed car down to Costa Mesa so LaMar could get a haircut from the SuperCuts down there. He just loves that particular store - they're fast, and there's usually no waiting. My car was so sparkly and clean, and I just love my car anyway. It's a Miata. Just about my entire life I've wanted a convertible (ever since my aunt Margie took us to the beach in her Triumph sans top when we were little), and now I have one. It's really small (and I was almost killed driving it once - it's so tiny people don't see you) and if I take someone else in the car with me, I have to put my purse in the trunk - unless I'm in the passenger seat. The color is black cherry: it looks black until the sun shines on it, and then it's got the most beautiful irridescent eggplant color shining in the black. I love my car. When I'm at work, I'm pretty much inside all day, so when I go home, and the weather is nice (most of the time) I love to take the top down and drive home through Silverado Canyon - so relaxing! i-Pod blaring, my little cap on so my hair doesn't get impossibly snarled - it's my favorite time of day.
Anyway, haircut done we cruised over to Tustin to eat at a place that one of Katie's friends had recommended: Jalapeno's. It's a little fast food Mexican place that tastes authentically homemade - I was pleasantly surprised. Two thumbs up on the food. It didn't look like it would be as good as it was, but the line of people said otherwise. Glad we went. Afterwards, it was off to Baskin Robbins - Pistachio Nut ice cream for me, Peanut Butter Chocolate for LaMar (who, when driving my car is LaMario Andretti). Yum. On the way home we drove through some nice neighborhoods up in the Anaheim Hills, and wished we lived there. It's fun to dream, and enjoy a gorgeous view all at the same time. Then time to go home. I know it doesn't sound like much, but it was so relaxing and kickback, and was just what I needed. Here are some pictures of LaMario Andretti and I out driving in the Miata:
We both like to drive the Miata!
On Sunday, LaMar and I teach a Sunday School class of 18 and over kids - the Young Single Adults. Sometimes we have 7-8 kids, and sometimes, well...this particular Sunday we had no kids, so LaMar and I held class at the doughnut shop. It's another occasional pleasure - not exactly kosher, but we couldn't resist sneaking out for an hour. We were hungry and thirsty, and that third hour of church was so much better after a glazed twist and a Diet Coke.
After we got home, we finished our chores, and then had a little BBQ with Scott. I have to say that LaMar was the BBQ king on Sunday. He grilled corn on the cob and some of the best hamburgers I've ever had. I'm not sure whether they tasted so good because I stuffed cheese and spices inside the meat patties, plus the smoky chipotle mayonnaise, or whether it was the toasted buns, or whether it was just the first BBQ of the season - probably a combination of the three. All I know is that Scott, LaMar, and I all walked away from the table with smiles on our faces.
Later on in the afternoon, I was lucky enough to get hold of Joan, and yak her ear off for 30 minutes or so. I was able to catch up on her son's' wedding, (she has 4 children married and 4 still at home) and her sister Sue's doings in North Carolina. Little Sue, with 6 kids! I learned more how she met her husband Emery - I was married by then, and in my own little world not paying much attention, I think. I really wished I hadn't let so many years go by without contact - thinking of all of the interesting things I've missed with this very interesting and unconventional girl makes me kind of sad. But I'm determined to get to the lake country of Wisconsin (Oconomowoc!) soon, and do a lot of catching up.
So that was my little weekend - you might say it was kind of a geezer weekend, but then, I'm getting to be kind of a geezer. It was peaceful, no stress, and very little money was spent. (LaMar was happy.) And right here, right now, it was just what the doctor ordered.

1 comment:

  1. What a great weekend! Love the pictures. I wish my weekend was as nice...Being sick doesn't exactly make for a great weekend. I love pedicures! The only time I get to have one is when I'm with you! Ahhh so relaxing!

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed