Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Summer Means Tan Lines, Beach Bonfires, & S'mores

Today felt like the first official day of summer for me. It was a beautiful sunny day, and so LaMar and I headed for the pool to introduce our white pasty bodies briefly to the sun. We were only sitting out there for about 45 minutes, but I managed to broil up a hint of a tan. The bod definately doesn't brown up like it used to - nor should I let it - but I have a smidgin of a tan line. No matter - it felt good to be out catchin' some rays - with suncreen of course. Sunshine is something I really don't get enough of cooped up in an office 8 hours a day. (In all seriousness, I take Vitamin D capsules because I don't get enough sunshine.)
After we came back, I was trying to think of something to blog about, and was perusing one of Trader Joe's Summer Guides. (For those who don't know Trader Joe's, see http://www.traderjoes.com/) On page 6 of the Summer Guide, they were touting Fair Trade Swiss Dark Chocolate, Cinnamon Grahams (no hydrogenated oils! Each 16 0z. tub just $3.49!) and all natural vanilla marshmallows. (Well they don't have those, but I know who does: Williams Sonoma!) Mmmmm... s'mores. Which brings to mind beach bonfires. Which is THE summer activity, and something I haven't done in a long time. You know how it is: when the kids grow up, they want to go to bonfires without you. But this year I want a beach bonfire. I want smoke in my eyes, I want bonfire food (trying to think of something besides burnt hot dogs - those things will kill you) and I want s'mores. I want my marshmallows to catch on fire, some of them to drop INTO the fire, and finally have that one or two that are perfectly toasted on all sides that you squish between two grahams and some chocolate (Fair Trade Dark Chocolate!) You always eat one or two, and then its so sweet you can't eat any more. But for that one or two, it's heaven, and it's summertime. As you look across the beach you can see all the other bonfires going in a hundred fire rings, you can hear the waves crashing, your hair is all frizzy, your hands are sticky and sandy, and you've got that smoke in your eyes. Seriously - I can't wait to do this.

6 comments:

  1. Oh how I miss bonfires!!! Living in HB we went to them a lot, especially during the summer, but in PR nobody does them. Maybe we can have one when I'm in town :) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with Katie. We should have a little family one when she is in town. It would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS You HAVE to have hot dogs. What else would you have? Thats like not having a hot dog at a ball game. Its un-american

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am inviting myself.... see you through the smoke (WITHOUT A HOTDOG, SCOTT)... in about a months time. ok for that post you asked for tomorrow. thanks for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss beach bonfires! I'll have s'mores at camp next week, such a fun summer treat! But I'm with you a bonfire at the beach is the perfect summer activity!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, can I subscribe to your blog? or is that weird?!
    -Laura

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed