Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Too Much Sweatin' the Small Stuff

Do you ever have days when you just need a vacation? I'm so there. I have some vacation time in another week, but today it just didn't seem like soon enough. I need to confess that I was a horrible grouch this morning at work. Granted, there is a situation there that seems to be remedy-less in that it just goes on and on and on, kind of out of control...just like at most jobs. But today, for some reason, TODAY it just really made me mad, and I kind of...well... I lost my temper...
I ranted on about this, and I went on about that, and I said a few not so nice words to no one in particular, and Olga and Ilse just let me rave on. They're too good to me. Here they are so you can see what nice people they are (pay no attention to what a bad self-photographer I am)
Olga is in the picture with me and Ilse is the blonde. Nice ladies both.
When I calmed down, I took a deep breath, and then I just felt bad about subjecting everyone else to my tantrum - especially because they aren't part of the problem. They're affected by it the same as I am. Then I started thinking about those poor little boy scouts in Iowa who were killed in the tornado last night, and suddenly the nonsense here at work seemed like just that: NONSENSE.
I don't know why I let such silly things bother me. Wait - yes I do. It's because I don't know how to fix them, or I am powerless to fix them. Take your pick, it all ends up in the same mess that never gets fixed. But at least I'm alive, and I was able to enjoy some pictures just posted of Mia on my daughter's blog. I'm going to steal one of them and post it here for your enjoyment. It's Mia with pure joy spread all over her face, running free as a bird towards the ocean in Mexico. What would you give to feel that way again? I don't think you can put a price on it - you just have to dig deep and try to connect. And definately don't sweat the small stuff. As Ilse so wisely put it this morning: Is this really going to matter in 10 years? And usually the answer is: Definately not. When I do have my vacation the end of next week, (Palm Desert with LaMar and then Katie & Mia are visiting!) maybe I'll channel Mia and do a cannonball into the pool.

2 comments:

  1. I've DEFINITELY had those days! I'm looking forward to our vacation in CA too! I miss you so much...I also wish I could be more like Mia in that picture. What would I do without my little Ariel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well let's see, I had one of those days over Memorial Day weekend (thank you Katie for talking me through that one!) so I know all too well what that feels like. That's when you treat yourself after work to some R&R and olive tapenade (I share that love with you!)

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed