Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Bananas: Fried and Frozen

This was a totally kick back weekend. Nowhere I had to be, and really nothing that had to be done. Well, the wash, but other than that... Saturday started out really hot and muggy. You know, that really thick air and heat that makes the sweat just roll down your back (Katie, I know YOU know what I'm talking about!) In the morning, I just ran around to the beauty supply, and picked up a couple of things, ran into a friend, and had the freedom to just stand and visit for awhile. WOW it was hot, though! Too hot to sit by the pool, or anything like that, so I indulged myself and read my book for a couple of hours. I'm reading Pattie Boyd's autobiography, "Wonderful Tonight." It's fascinating, filled with all the inside Beatles/Eric Clapton scoop. She's had a crazy life. Not noble, or uplifting stuff, but very entertaining. I'll read noble and uplifting next time.
About 5pm, LaMar and I headed for downtown Brea. We were thinking we would eat at a Brazilian restaurant down there, but when we looked at the menu, it wasn't exactly what we wanted, so we jumped back in the car, and headed to the Orange circle for Cuban food! Felix's Continental Cafe: fried bananas, seafood, and the most delicious garbanzo bean and sausage soup I've ever tasted. I would go back just for the soup. Right about the time we were ready to leave, a whole party of Cuban people came in. The ladies were in their 70's with bright red hair, jeweled hair ornaments, and lots of sequins and sparkle. Big night out, I guess, and there LaMar and I were in flip flops and shorts. Cubans love that red hair...
We took a quick walk around the circle, and watched the cops rousting some old homeless guy. We kept watching for Dan, LaMar's brother, who is a cop in Orange. No luck there. We sat by the fountain for awhile, watched people with their dogs, and i was reminded of all the times Marion and I would walk from home to the circle to shop, and then walk all the way home. We were only in about 7th or 8th grade, and had a lot of energy then, I guess. It was so much fun, though. We finally set out for home. No big doings, nothing really to write home about (or blog about) but it was a really nice Saturday. So relaxing, which is just what I needed.
Tonight I have a craving for a frozen banana on Balboa Island. I love going down there on a summer evening, walking over the bridge, and getting a frozen banana with sprinkles AND nuts. Fantasize about living at the beach, pick out my favorite house or cottage. Walk along the water, and watch the lights from the ferris wheel across the bay at the fun zone. That's summertime. That's livin'.

3 comments:

  1. Oh how I love frozen bananas! That's what we should have done while I was in town...NUTS! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a fun pop is a glorious otterpop knock off that is actually delicious. it isnt like eating a weak flavored ice cube, like otter pops. they are soft and flavorfull, and twice the size of otterpops. so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops. i accidentally posted as my sister.

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed