Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. - Voltaire

I spent the morning having breakfast with my grandma. That little woman can pack more food away than most men I've seen, and yet she's small and spry. We went to Mimi's Cafe. I don't like their lunch and dinner food, but I do love their breakfasts: wonderful French Toast, huge omelettes, quiches, and all manner of eggs served with bacon and country fried potatoes. Even oatmeal, which they serve with milk, brown sugar, and raisins. So good and creamy. The occasion was contrived: it's her 97th birthday on August 14th, but my parents are going to be out of town, so they took her to lunch yesterday. I was working, so my version of the birthday celebration was going to breakfast this morning. Apparently, grandma was up anticipating our little feast at 6am - we weren't to meet until 9... but I'm glad she was excited to go!
We met at out house, and as Scott was helping her into the car, she sprang up into into the seat with a quick "I've got it!" Scott laughed and said "Nana, you're going to be 150 years old, and still jumping into the car without help, saying you've got it."
I'm so glad my children have had the benefit of associating with this wonderful woman, and having her influence rub off on them. She's happy, optimistic without being naive, loves people, and loves all of the absurd things that occur in our lives. She has a wonderful sense of humor, especially when it comes to laughing at herself. She is exactly how I would like to be - and I know I'm sadly lacking, but I continue to try because she's such a joy to be around. I'd like people to like me that much one of these days.
It's not that her life has been perfect - like the quote above, she's had her share of shipwrecks, but she never forgets to sing in the lifeboat, and in doing so, she lifts up everyone around her. I'm kind of a collector of quotes, and I love to read lots of different blogs. One blog I was reading had the title quote, and the quotes below in one of the postings (the blogger was a lover of literature like myself. I don't know her, but I wish I did.)

I don't like that man. I must get to know him better. - Abraham Lincoln

Oh, my friend, it's not what they take away from you that counts. It's what you do with what you have left. - Hubert Humphrey

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine. - Anthony J. D'Angelo

Anyway, I liked these quotes, so I copied them for this post. I think they're good things to remember, as there will always be people we don't like or understand, there will always be hard times, and we always need to bring our own sunshine, in case none is provided. Happy early 97th birthday, Grandma - I love you! On your real birthday, we'll have a cake, and candles for wishing!

P.S. I know, I know - there are no pictures...I had the camera in my purse, even. But I was having such fun having breakfast out with everyone, that I completely forgot to take a picture until Grandma and Margie drove away... I'll blame the lapse on the good company!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so jealous! I love eating with them at Mimi's! Wish I could have been there to celebrate with you guys...I feel like I'm always missing everything, DANG IT!

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed