Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Saturday, August 2, 2008

LaMar & the Bed Nazi

I am the bed linen Nazi. I worked for 2 years selling bed linens - first at Ralph Lauren, and next at Frette. I have had the most beautifully dressed beds imaginable, but sadly, you must sleep in them, and the gorgeous linens do wear out, and start to look a bit shabby. Our bed had reached that point. Up until a short time ago, my Sunday ritual was to wash the sheets, hang them out in the sun to try, and then iron them with scented ironing water before putting them on the bed. Perfection. Gorgeous! It would irritate me when LaMar would try to help, because he wasn't careful to get everything straight, and make sure the pillows all had that perfect little fluff to them: the Bed Nazi. Lately, however, I'd stopped ironing because the sheets were looking shabby, and, frankly, I was tired of them.
Enter the Heavenly Bed. We got our tax rebate check from George Bush, and we spent it on the Heavenly Bed (see older post). It's 13 inches of cushy bliss. Like sleeping on a cloud. And after two almost sleepless nights (why is it that even though something is nirvana, when you're used to sleeping on concrete, you can't sleep on a cloud??) I was finally, FINALLY able to become virtually unconscious last night.
Yesterday afternoon we set out in search of our new bedding ensemble. I had something like this lovely Ralph Lauren "Adriana" ensemble in mind:




















(I LOVE Ralph Lauren!) However, our wallet didn't agree with that vision, so we spent hours and hours traipsing from store to store, slowly creating a new vision. It's kind of Asian, kind of beachy, not as Ralph Lauren-ish as I'd envisioned, but I think I like it. What do you think?







We still haven't found a worthy/affordable duvet cover, so for now, we have a Ralph Lauren canvas one thrown on, minus the comforter. This thing (we affectionately call it The Tarp) weighs serious poundage, even without a comforter inside - I think you could make a heavy duty tent out of it. When it was on a bed in the Ralph Lauren store, it was gorgeous, but until I went to haul it home, I didn't realize that it weighed as much as a person. I'd like to find something easier to heft, and a little prettier, girlier, less Zen. (But not too girly - LaMar wouldn't be able to sleep.) All in all, I'm happy with the new look, and the new mood it gives our room. In our travels, we also saw all kinds of furniture and decorator items - I want to update so many things. But last night, I was content to fuss and fret over our new bed's finery, staging a coup with my choice of pillow shams, and dictating every new detail. This Bed Nazi will sleep in fluffy, high thread count comfort like a big snoring (so LaMar says) baby.

4 comments:

  1. Oooooo, very pretty! I looks so fresh...your beds are always beautiful though. Hail to the Bed Nazi! I love ironed sheets, but can't bring myself to do it. I want to sleep in your bed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome post! Beds are very important to me too. I still haven't slept in a bed that is more comfy than ours at home, but maybe I need to try yours sometime! Ours is a little small, but we kinda like it that way : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it!! Your home is has always been so beautifully decorated and the new bedding just fits right into that!! Yay for new stuff:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I'm Lori Taylor. You commented on my blog - Thank you. Beautiful Bedding! I'm Jessica Taylor Hatch's mom. We just got back from helping them get to Wichita, KS. Katie is so cute. She took so many good pictures of our wedding events and she helped us make the invitations. She's a doll.

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed