Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Wishes & Dreams




Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain

I don't know about you, but that quote just make me want to go... DO SOMETHING! I think of all the things I secretly dream about doing (and I add to the list daily, it seems), and reading a quote like that makes me want to start planning - yes, definately making plans to make one of those dreams come true. We all have those little lists - sometimes scribbled in a journal, sometimes just etched into our minds - of adventures still beckoning, sights yet unseen, and secret goals just waiting to be accomplished. Our everyday world so often bogs us down, and obscures the importance of living large, and dreaming big. We get lost in the minutiae of routine, and duty.
Actually, my list isn't so fantastic, or larger than life. It's do-able, and in a really humble way. I just need to DO IT. Get off my "laurels" and just make it happen. I get caught up in a silly sense of duty to, of all things, my job. My job, as a friend so wisely put it, is just the place I go every day to make the money I need to do the things I really want to do. I don't think, at the end of my time on earth, that anyone will be impressed by the fact that I was a dedicated employee. More impressive would be setting aside the time and resources to visit Puerto Rico while my daughter and family are still there. They won't be there forever (hopefully), and I want to see this place. And I want to see this place through Katie's eyes.

Other dreams are to see Europe, and if I have to scale it down, then especially Italy, France, and Greece. And, after the Olympics this year (and Emily's glowing description), China is now on my list. I'd also really like to visit Washington to see Marion, and Wisconsin to see Joan - I've never been to either. Perhaps even Alaska to see Jeanette - if Jeanette can tell me when it's not freezing and dark there. Perhaps I'll serve a mission with LaMar one day in who-knows-where.
Along with the travel, I'd like to discover new talents, and rediscover my old talents. Take up painting, and music again. Become more clever and artsy. Maybe learn a new instrument.
I'd like to live in a house where there is room for everyone. This may not mean a new house - it may just mean making the one we have more conducive to gatherings. Actually, this is probably near the top of my list. I've always dreamed of having a house where people would love to come. I'd always imagined a larger house, but maybe I need to become very, very creative with a small space. Make it a happy, welcoming home. This is a particularly wishy desire for me, especially in light of our little grandchildren.
But I'm rambling, and getting lost in my dreaming. I will make each one happen, one way or another. I'll catch the tradewinds in my sails. I'll explore, dream some more, and discover life's richness. Let's make our most precious desires a reality. I've told you some of mine. What's on your list?

...OK - right now, what's on my list is a big cookie from French's Bakery across the street, so I'm going to catch the wind in my sails to make that dream a reality right now. Some goals are easier than others, and unfortunately, the dream of a size 6 is less attainable than that cookie. Extra long walk tonight.

2 comments:

  1. I love these dreams, you will do them, I can tell you have your heart in it:) They sound wonderful! I want to go to Africa on safari with Scott and save our money so we can travel when we have kids and show them the world. And have a beach vacation home and go to it often to relax and snorkle. Those dreams sound good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to TRAVEL too! Greece is definitely on my list as well! I can't wait till Zach is done with everything and will finally be a doctor so we can be settled with our family and one day own our own home! I want to take photography and photoshop classes and become an amazing photographer, but just as a hobby, not for business! I want to become really good at sewing so maybe one day I can sell my stuff at a boutique. Oh the list can go on! I love reading your dreams, so fun to think about. I would love to retire in Hawaii living on the beach too!

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed