Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Pumpkin Pie or Cheesecake?

Lamarvelous and I stayed up way too late last night watching Food TV. We're trying to get inspiration for our Thanksgiving dinner. So many choices, and exciting things to try! I have my heart set on trying Bobby Flay's Sour Orange Glaze for the turkey, and maybe adding crushed pineapple and cinnamon to the stuffing to give it a tropical flavor (if such a thing is possible). Bobby also had bite sized berry topped cheesecakes - so cute! Ina Garten made a big berry topped cheesecake, and also a spicy gingerbread topped with whipped cream. But we must have pumpkin pie, so maybe some of these things will be good for Christmas. Too many choices...we ended up having kooky dreams, and I woke up with a big headache, and didn't go to church. (Absence due to recipe overload?) To top it all off, I'm still in a menu quandary. All I know for sure is that the turkey will be fresh, free range, and organic. (And will probably cost $89 instead of the usual $12, says Lamar. But we'll be healthier people for it, says I)


Whatever the exact menu, I'm looking forward to a short work week, 4 days off, and a house that smells like Thanksgiving. We'll eat our healthy, organic turkey, along with cream laden mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes, and lots of pumpkin pie. It makes no sense from a nutritional standpoint, but I wouldn't have it any other way. The following Sunday is Fast Sunday anyway, (or Boo-Hoo Sunday, as L and I affectionately call it) so we can repent of our crazy overindulgence. It's starting to feel holiday-ish around here - even if it is 80 degrees.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds DELICIOUS! I'm jealous...hopefully my house will smell like Thanksgiving too. Luckily Jean will be here to help me. Wish I could be there for Christmas to taste all your yummy desserts! You and Lamar have got it goin on :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Call me old fashioned but i dig the traditional stuff. i dont know how crazy i am about tropical stuffing. But, alas, you are cooking it so I will eat regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie - we'll cook some stuff when we're there in January.
    Snubbs - It will taste traditional, don't worry. Just a LITTLE bit topical-ish. It's boring to do the same thing all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'll have to cook up some stuff for you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been overdosing on Thanksgiving Food Network too lately! Some of my favorite recipes were ones you mentioned too. Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed