Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Grandma Chronicles: Home for Christmas

My grandma got herself sprung from the care facility in which she'd been imprisoned for the last week and a half. I've never seen anyone so happy to get home to her own little bed. She worked and worked in physical therapy to get her motor skills improved, and then...the physical therapist turned his back on her for a second, and she fell. So once again, Grandma is battered and bruised, but still smiling: she got her wish granted to come home.
I went today with my parents to see her and take the Christmas gifts for her and my aunt. Grandma's gift was all about the lotion, and staying hydrated. I got her lavender body lotion, a balm stick for extra dry areas, Burt's Bees lip balm, lavender mint bath/shower gel (organic and with colloidal oatmeal to keep her skin soft!) a boo-boo stick (a wintergreen smelling balm stick that is supposed to heal boo-boos and sore muscles - smells amazing!) AND - last, but not least - Burt's Bees Ageless Night Cream. I applied the cream to her poor little dried out face, and I think it took 10 years off in 30 seconds. Well, even if not, she loved how it felt - she kept touching her face because her skin felt so soft. I'm telling you, a girl can never have too much moisturizer. If your skin is hydrated, and your lips unchapped, you can then summon the courage to do battle with life's challenges.
After a thorough moisturizing, Grandma got up and ate a tuna sandwich (prepared by me!), drank some Sunny D with her new sippy cup (no more messy spills as she works to gain muscle control!), and then ate a See's chocolate. Life was good for a bit. I'm in awe of the fight that 97 year old girl still has in her.
Tomorrow a caregiver arrives fora couple of days of round the clock care, while paperwork is being processed to get her physical therapy and home care organized and started. Thank goodness my aunt will FINALLY be able to take a big nap, and let someone else take over for awhile. Things are looking up a little bit for The Girls. May they each be able to "sleep in heavenly peace" now that Grandma is back home, and out of the woods.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you were able to pamper her a bit! Talked to Margie-They really like the caregiver, she's from Kenya, but she doesn't have a car so Margie is still doing the shopping. Molly is very knowledgable and keeps busy Margie says. Margie gave up her bed for Molly, so I'm not sure how well she'll actually be sleeping. Nonsense! Anyway, miss you! Oh-Did Michelle get the wheelchair to you?

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed