Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Happy Birthday to the Best Mom Ever! (and many, many, many more)

Yesterday was Mom's birthday. True to form, I never even thought of taking any pictures so I'll just include one of her here that I particularly like. (Actually, both pics in this post are the same vintage, from Katie's wedding day 4 years ago) We all gathered for dinner at Gulliver's, across from John Wayne Airport for the celebration. When L and I walked in, the first thing I saw was my brother Matt sitting at the table... huh??? He lives in Indiana! What a great surprise - he and Greta and Ari all flew here to give Mom a birthday surprise. It was so good to see them, and 2 1/2 year old Ari walked around the table several times handing out Tic Tacs. She had the minty aroma of TicTacs floating about her - so cute and good smelling.
Mom was so happy to see them, and my Dad had kept it a complete secret - from her, and all of us. I didn't know he was such a good secret keeper... My dad did his now famous bit of going around the table and talking about all of the great things everyone had accomplished over the year. I've always hated that. Either I haven't done anything great, or my very ordinary "accomplishments" are put out there like they're extraordinary, and everyone knows (me most of all) that they're not - and this was a very low achieving year for me ... auugghhh... It's embarrassing, but for some reason, Dad just loves to hold forth, so you just let him roll while cringing inside. I think it was supposed to reflect back on Mom for being such a great mom - so hopefully it did just that, even though it was all about everyone else. Dad's a funny one... But Happy Birthday Mom! You still have the most beautiful complexion, and I hope very hard that those good genes got passed on to little me. I know you don't like getting older, but you're doing it very well. And I'm right behind you.

3 comments:

  1. Aw! Grandma looks so pretty in that pic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a good secret keeper too because Greta told me they were coming to surprise grandma and I didn't even tell you! Wish I coulda been there. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, and you also kept my PR trip a secret from me too! I'm going to have to keep an eye on you...

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed