Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Love is what's in the room with you at Christmas if you stop opening presents and listen. - Bobby, age 7

Lately I'm having trouble concentrating on work or really, anything other than these two things:
1. Food, calories, carb count, etc. etc. (Because I'm trying to eliminate sugar... hahahahahaha!!! Who am I trying to kid??) Actually, I'd love to eliminate sugar, as sugar is not only fattening, but its inflammatory, and I have RA, which is all about inflammation, and my Pasty Doctor (so named because she is pallid of complexion) gives me many many lectures on the evils of sugar. Alas, I can't seem to conquer that mountain entirely. SO - I'm trying to greatly reduce sugar, and delicious carbs so that I can hopefully not be so embarrassed in January when we visit Puerto Rico to see Katie, Zach & Mia, and spend glorious amounts of time on the beach. I can remember when I could drop ten pounds without even thinking about it. Getting older plays some mean tricks on you. Not being able to lose five pounds is one of them. (Never mind the other 25 pounds...)

AND - (which brings me to little Bobby's quote of the day, above)

2. Christmas Shopping List I'm having a hard time getting a cohesive list together! I decide on a gift for someone, and either the item is out of stock, or (more often) just as I'm finalizing that decision, a new, better idea comes along, and off I go chasing it like a butterfly. I can't seem to get down to business and actually get anything done! What is wrong with me?? I realize it's only December 3rd, but I'm starting to get sweaty palms over the whole thing. I'm in Christmas brain freeze mode. Usually, I have everything all planned out by now, but this year is a little different, for some reason. I am in the habit of getting all in a lather over Christmas perfection, but I am being more ridiculous than usual. What is Christmas perfection, anyway? I just want to hug my kids, and laugh with them over Christmas breakfast (the ones that will be here, anyway...), and have some fun with the grandchildren, Lexi and Matthew (Mia will have to wait until January!) And when all the excitement is over, and all have gone home, I want to snuggle with L, in front of the fireplace with the room quiet and dark, except for the Christmas tree lights. Kind of bask in the glow of the day. Heaven.

1 comment:

  1. You're the best gift giver! Wish we could be there to enjoy the day with you. We put up our tree and I played your Christmas CD this morning while I cleaned the house and did other things. I'm kind of excited to have our own little Christmas even though I feel like I'm missing out on everything back home. Can't wait to see you in January! Hopefully we'll get lots of fun time together :)

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed