Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Friday, February 27, 2009

Snuffy Loses The Sniffles


I'm recovering from a sinus infection. For the last month and more I haven't been able to breathe. My sniffer is just all jammed up. At first I blamed it on catching the cold that L had, and then I thought it was the winds in January - I was sure they'd kicked up some wierd allergy, and that all I needed was to get to Puerto Rico, and that nice, thick air, and my sniffer would clear right up. But it didn't. It was better, but not all the way better. And for the last month since our return it's gotten worse and worse - but not steadily. It would tease me with a good day, and then let me have it the next day after I'd gotten my hopes up for recovery.
I have sniffled and snuffled for an entire month. I've tried to blow, but it's all wedged somewhere deep in my sinuses and refuses to come out. Once I blew so hard that I felt air come out of the corner of my eye. I didn't know that was possible, and it creeped me out. It felt like you could blow your brain out, little by little. If it got really bad at night, (like: I can't breathe AT ALL) the only thing that would relieve it would be to creep out of bed all stealthy-like, and go downstairs and do about 10 Sun Salutations (a yoga posture flow). Now there's a picture: me in my undies down in a dark living room swooping up and down with sweeping arms, until the exertion opened my sinuses (or "snotrils" as Katie used to call them when she was three) enough to breathe and resume sleeping. The main drawback was that it also revs you up a bit, and there you are in the dark downstairs feeling hungry. And the kitchen is just in the next room. *sigh*
So yesterday I finally cried Uncle and went to the doctor, as clearly, I was not healing myself. I got my token Z-pack and Flonase prescribed. The Z-pack is making me feel better, and the Flonase I gave to L. With his allergies, he can always use a good nasal spray, and I'd almost rather eat Brussels Sprouts than use it. (In fact, Brussels Sprouts would probably do a fair job of clearing sinuses... NASTY veggie)
I have high hopes that I'll be breathing free and clear by the start of next week. LaMar can stop calling me Mrs. Snuffleupagus. Which is kind of mean, since I think he gave me the original cold, or whatever it was, in the first place.

4 comments:

  1. Hope you feel better very soon Snuffie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I love the part where you felt air come out of your eye! Hahaa, and when got out of bed all stealth like, LOL! You're a crack up. I can just picture it in my head, LOVE IT! EVERYONE here has been complaining about allergies and sinus problems, including Zach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You poor thing! Kevin has chronic allergies and has to "irrigate" every night so he can sleep. It's not fun. I love "snotrils".......so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily - Does Kevin have a Neti Pot? LaMar does - and it works really great for his allergies. I've been really tempted to try it myself.

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed