Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Thanks A Million...

You know - back to Sunday - I came away with another little snippet of suggestion from Sister Glenna that I liked very much. She was talking about how, when she prayed, she found herself giving God a long laundry list of things to do. So she decided one day to just give a thankful prayer - nothing but thanks. No needs, no please bless this or that, no please help me with whatever. Simply thanks for everything she was blessed with. She said it gave her a whole new insight and feeling. I liked the idea, so I decided to give it a try. It's amazing how hard it is to do! I would just be on the verge of asking for something, and would remember to only give thanks instead. It was hard, but I liked it. It forced me to concentrate on all of the wonderful things I'm blessed with, and enjoy - rather than rushing through that part, and getting to the part where I needed and wanted. I felt it gave me a new perspective. Who wouldn't, as a parent, love it if our children came once a day and just thanked us for everything we do for them? I would think that our Father would love it too - and it's the least I can do for all the grief I give Him.
Of course, I can't entirely give up my pleas for help - mostly because so many of them aren't for me. I need plenty of help, that's for sure, but so do so many others that I know. But once a day, it's so refreshing - even purifying - to think only of what I'm blessed with and let it pour out. Perhaps it will do the same for you. See? I only look like I'm sleeping in RS - I really am paying attention!

3 comments:

  1. I tried it last night after I talked to you and it went pretty well, however, like you, there were times I had to catch myself from asking for something. Good post schister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post. Wonderful reminders.

    And, I love that picture! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, this is a great post, I am going to try it. I love the way you likened it to a parent and how they would feel, that really put it into perspective for me. Thanks!
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed