Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Thursday, March 12, 2009

This Is What I Thought About Today

This is going to be one of those random, meandering posts. Kind of about this, and then about that. And then about something else. Just bear with me.

Katie sent me a little story and quote today that I liked. It's a good reminder, when life sucks, to try to quickly learn whatever lesson it is you're supposed to learn so that you can get on to the good stuff. The chocolate cake of it all, if you will, that is just beyond the broccoli. And it goes like this:
A mother was watching her kids play in the back yard, when she noticed that her toddler Jesse was gone. She frantically called out and heard his cries. She found him next door entangled in some blackberry vines. It took her some time to entangle him and he was in pain. She remembered that the neighbors also had a pond and if the blackberries had not detained Jesse, he may have wondered into the pond and risked drowning. The parable of the story...sometimes Heavenly Father allows us to stumble into thorny places to protect us from more harmful situations.

The quote from George Q. Cannon:
"The Saints should always remember that God sees not as man sees; that he does not willingly afflict his children, and that if he requires them to endure present privation and trial, it is that they may escape greater tribulations which would otherwise inevitably overtake them. If He deprives them of any present blessing, it is that he may bestow upon them greater and more glorious ones by-and-by."
Now, I know that's a simplistic little Sunday School lesson, and sometimes we suffer tragedies and trials that aren't so simple to overcome. But, generally speaking, if I can remember that little parable in my day to day struggles, I will probably do some quicker learning of lessons trying to get to the point of it all, and a lot less complaining and whining and wringing of hands.

That said - (Sunday School is dismissed!) I heard today that Katie and Mia will be coming for a visit the first 2 weeks in July. So you know what that means... Mia + July 4th fireworks = FUN! I'm already planning the days off from work to play with my little friend. Oh - and Katie too. Now we just need Lexi and Matthew and Ronna!
I can't believe that I'm already making plans for summer, but it sure is a lot more fun than looking out at the gloomy weather we've had lately. It's been so chilly at night - L and I have even worn socks to bed, and you KNOW how sexy that is! You might say we could turn on the heater - and we do - but if we turn it up to where it's comfortable, then after awhile it's too hot. We've never been able to master the thermostat at our house. So in the winter we put on socks, and link our icy hands together to fall asleep. No one else would think so, but WE think it's kinda sexy.

2 comments:

  1. LOL, sexy, why does that sound weird coming out of my mom's mouth? Haha, not really, it was pretty funny actually. Its been cold here too believe it or not! I've been snuggling with Zach at night too and have LOVED it. I've been wearing socks, pants, and a long sleeve shirt to bed, can you believe it? We went to the beach today and got rained on--Amy, Mardy and I all with goosebumps complaining that we're freezing and its only in the 70's! What has PR done to us? :)I can't wait for our visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed the Sunday School lesson! :)

    As for the socks in bed, and the thermostat setting, I totally get it!!

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed