Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Breaking and Entering: It's All Good

In case anyone was concerned, I thought I'd let you know that today was {singing it out} AWESOME! As I read my last post, it occurred to me that I was feeling a little sorry for myself, as I am prone to do. Sometimes I just love sympathy, but it's not always good for me. Actually, when it's not deserved, I think it stunts your growth. So the good friends that left me comments gave me the best medicine possible: EMPATHY (rather than sympathy) and friendly good wishes. I went to bed a little worried that I'd made myself look very silly, although it truly was how I was feeling at the time. But worry or not, I got a good night's sleep, with no bumps in the night to scare me. (I have a sinking feeling that just when I'm getting used to having the whole bed all to myself, L will come back, and I'll be cranky because I'm feeling all crowded...I can't win...)
Today dawned even more gorgeous than yesterday (and Utah folk - I hear the temps rose there too! Yay!!) I got a fabulous haircut, colored the gray with, well... color (even more important), and drove towards home with the top down. I was lovin' life. I made a stop at Home Depot, and wandered up and down trying to decide what I wanted. I decided on cilantro, oregano, and lemon balm. I don't know how you use lemon balm (anyone?) but the leaves smell deliciously lemony and that's enough for me. So voila! My herb garden is growing.
When I got home, I hit the garage door closer, went into the house, set my purse down, walked out the kitchen door to the porch, and set the plants down. I turned around to walk back in and OH NO!!! - I was locked out. I stood there thinking what to do for about 5 minutes. The garage door was shut, the car was in the garage with the opener. My purse, keys, and phone were inside in the kitchen. I briefly considered breaking the glass on the door to get inside, but quickly decided against it. I didn't want to clean up broken glass. NO ONE has a spare key. My son gave his back to us last week. My parents don't have one. I could see that I was going to have to spend the weekend on my front porch if I didn't think of something. So I went next door. My neighbors, Dolce and Gabbana (actually, Debbie and Greg, but I could never remember their names until I thought of D&G - Dolce and Gabbana.) ANYWAY, Gabbana was home, and I think I love him. He hopped over my fence, grabbed the ladder (which LUCKILY L hadn't put away), climbed up to my bedroom window (the only window in the whole house that was open a little bit), took the screen off and dove inside. He never even commented on how messy my bedroom was. L would have been horrified. I need to bake him a cake or something. I am truly grateful, and more than a little embarrassed. When I discussed all this with L over the phone, we agreed that we need to have a spare key somewhere.
The rest of the day was uneventful, but nice. A little time in the sun with a book, a little shopping, and an hour of so of gardening and giving everything a drink. I even enjoyed cooking for myself. I am a good cook, but I don't really like cooking only for me. I'm more prone to eat a hunk of cheese or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Laziness is all it is. But, my friends, I'm trying to turn over a new leaf so my husband will stop telling me that I'll need to croak off first because I don't know how to take care of myself. I DO know how to take care of myself. I mixed some cilantro and chopped basil from my garden with fresh tomatoes and vinaigrette, and crumbled goat cheese over it for my salad. I cubed some watermelon and drizzled balsamic vinegar lightly over it. (Doesn't sound good? You should try it - really. An amazing combo of sweet and vinegar. So tasty.) And a hamburger patty. That's not so special, but I'm trying to lose weight, and it's protein. And it was organic. So... there.
I'm going to slather on a facial masque, watch a movie, and just relax. I feel like I took strides today. Small ones, maybe, but still. I didn't sit home feeling sorry for myself. I did things and enjoyed my own company. And if I talked to myself out loud a little bit in the process, so what? Rome wasn't built in a day, and I've told you: I like to talk. And to be honest, the conversation was fascinating.

4 comments:

  1. Impressive day! And frankly, some of my very best conversations are with myself...

    =)

    PS. I think your dinner sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wait. I forgot to heap praises upon Gabana Greg. Consider it done.

    (Definitely above and beyond the call of neighborly duty. Cake-worthy for sure.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are absolutely adorable!

    Way to go Gabbana! Must be nice to know you have a superhero living right next door. Maybe you could make him a cape with a great big G on it.

    I think your dinner sounds delicious! You said it wasn't special...I'd have to disagree. Sounded very special to me!

    Hooray for a good night's sleep, and a book in the sun sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm jealous! Your Saturday was MUCH more eventful than mine. The highlight of my day was probably our short chat on the phone. Gosh I feel pukey ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed