Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Monday, April 6, 2009

Kickin' It With Conference

I love conference weekend. First of all, I like listening to conference. Even though the message is rarely startling, or something I haven't been reminded about before, it's comforting to me that the message is the same. It never changes. Be good to and love your family. Repent of the errors of your ways (sometimes it's a long list, sometimes it's more brief). Strive to be more like our Savior. Sounds easy enough, right? Wrong. That's why we listen to conference twice a year for two days at a time. We forget, and we're easily distracted - at least I am.

Besides listening to the messages at conference, though, it's the one Sunday that is truly restful for me. I love cable. I can listen at home, comfortably, with no makeup. It's such a relaxing day while I'm being called to repentance. LaMar usually whips up something delicious to eat, and this time was no exception. We had Conference Quiche, complete with fresh basil from my fledgling herb garden. Sooooo good. It made the morning session quite tasty indeed.

In between sessions I took a book (Twilight - it's for book club!) out to the sunny patio to read, getting a tiny tan at the same time. Just for an hour. Just long enough. We listened to the afternoon session while cleaning the house up, and throwing wash in. LaMar left briefly to get himself a thirsty-two ouncer of Diet Coke. The furthest I got was the back patio with my book. It was heaven. Nowhere to be, no obligations outside my house. Just a peaceful day.

My VT came over in the late afternoon. She brought me the most beautiful yellow orchid plant. So Easter-y and pretty. We sat down and talked....and talked.... and she ended up staying for dinner. L whipped up a steak salad and guacamole and chips before she could say no. Does it sound like I never cook, or do much in general? You're probably right. I like to cook, but I'm saving it up for Christmas or something. I kind of handle the Big Deal Dinners, and L does the day to day. It's a good system.

One year for conference, L made Conference Cupcakes. They had little cutouts of Gordon B. Hinkley standing up in the frosting on top. A total crowd pleaser. But no matter what, it always seems to be a peaceful day of gentle instruction, relaxation, and tasty food. Because tasty food just makes the changing your evil ways part more palatable.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful day! "Because tasty food just makes the changing your evil ways part more palatable....this part made me laugh out loud! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish my conference weekends were as nice as yours! We never have anything yummy to eat :( and unfortunately no place to layout with a book...Hawaii conferences were the best with all the roommates and a backyard on the beach with lounge chairs where we'd read our scriptures. Oh the good'ol days! I remember those conference cupcakes :)I miss LaMar's cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love conference weekend, too...and I chuckled with Natalie at the tasty food making evil way-changing more palatable. (Pajamas help as well.)

    =)

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed