Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Breaking the Habit

When I first went outside this morning, the sun was shining, and it looked to be such a pretty day. But I was aching all over. Arthritis flareup. I got into the car and drove south to work, and the sky began to look like this:
You know, when you go out, and the sun is trying to shine, but there are still some heavy clouds? But there's a freshness in the air, and the promise of the day is exciting and optimistic. You just know the sun is coming out, and good things are going to happen. And I was hopeful in my acheyness.
I ached when I went to bed last night, and I was having a hard time figuring out why. I always think there must be a reason why. Our bodies go haywire for a reason, I figure - it can't be mere serendipity. So I prayed about it, and I thought, and I thought, and I fell asleep...finally...and woke up at 2:14 am with an idea. SUGAR. The past week, I've baked, coworkers have baked, and the candy bowl at work that holds those little tiny candy bars was (finally) refilled. I've overloaded on sugar, and I've been told a million times that sugar causes inflammation. Why is it that you can know something, but still ignore it - like the rule is for everyone but you?
So today, I was determined to be my own science experiment. I ate good protein for breakfast, and for lunch, I took the time to gather some baby lettuce leaves from my garden to put in a salad with tomato, baby carrots (I like my food tender and sweet!), and goat cheese. That, and half of a turkey pesto sandwich (Trader Joe's!) was lunch. I've been guzzling water all day, and guess what? The achiness has all but gone. So, I think I have a testimony that I need to keep a lid on my sugar intake. And I have a testimony that our prayers are answered when we really need to find an answer to a problem. I'm kind of stoked about that.
I often feel like the amateur MD - I'm very interested in what makes us sick, what makes us better, and what keeps us healthy. I realize sugar really isn't good for anyone, but I guess I can conclude that it REALLY isn't good for me. That was pretty much confirmed.
Today at work, my coworker and I had a particularly tedious afternoon. When we'd finished the horrible task we had to do, how did we celebrate? With Diet Coke floats, of course! Well, I guess I've got the idea half right. Baby steps.

3 comments:

  1. I guess no Joe Joe's when I'm in town huh? ;-) Glad you're feeling better today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sugar is my nemesis, too. Make me ache like crazy if I overdo it. (And I swell up like a balloon, too.)

    Lovely.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, glad you found some relief! That's really amazing how evil sugar can be! I agree...baby steps are best! Keep up the good work and here's to feeling healthy!

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed