Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Adventures In Babysitting

This morning I got to do one of my favorite things: get my hair cut and COLORED. Boy - it only takes 4 weeks this days, and that gray is just screaming to come out. But Betsy fixed it's wagon, and my hair is lovely again, with freshly cut bangs (another favorite thing, because after I trim them a couple of times, they're looking a little haggard and wonky.)
And now I am doing one of my least favorite things: babysitting. Except this time it's for Mia, which makes it a lot more fun. Katie wanted to go have a lunch in peace and sanity with her good friend Chelsea (of the BYU Hawaii days), and I can't say I blame her. Trying to eat in a restaurant with a toddler is not relaxing. Not at all. So Mema read Mia four - count them - FOUR stories before nap time: The Runaway Bunny, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Hippos Go Berserk, and the ever-popular Goodnight Moon. My copy of Goodnight Moon is missing a couple of pages - it's been well loved over the past 30 years. But I know the thing by heart, and luckily Mia didn't notice their absence.
We finished our stories, and I was starting to feel the sweat on my brow as I made my way out of the room after the giggliest goodnap (as opposed to goodnight) kiss ever. I was sure she would refuse to sleep, and start yelling. But I guess the old girl still has it (actually, Katie is a great mom who has just instilled the drill into her) and Mia settled down quietly. I heard one little squeak a few minutes ago - (dang, I wanted to finish this!) but I stopped myself from rushing into the room just in time, and it seems she's settled back down. YAY!! Practice, that's all - I just need practice, right?

When she wakes up, we're going to bust out the Nemo Slip n' Slide, and have some fun. L bought that for Mia last summer, (actually, these pictures are both from a year ago) and it's been waiting in the garage for her return. It makes me wish I could still take that running leap, and slide down it's slippery, splashy length with my tongue out catching the water drops that fly into my face. Childhood summers come flooding back into memory as I watch her small body move with such freedom and joy.

I mean, just look at that tongue hanging out - someone is having a good time!



Then it will be an early bath and bedtime for Miss Mia. Tomorrow is a big day: DISNEYLAND.

2 comments:

  1. Hope all goes well.

    Goodnight Moon was a big favorite at our house. (And I know it by heart, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for watching Mia for me! Sorry we didn't get to do the slip'n slide, but we'll get to that soon enough :)

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed