Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Crazytown Goes to Phoenix

We took Katie and Mia to John Wayne airport this evening, and sent them off to Phoenix for the next leg of their Mainland Tour. Zach's parents (Popi and Momo) were awaiting their arrival, and I hope they have as much fun as we did. Last night was our final big activity: Katie's baby shower. It was a very relaxed, informal gathering of friends and family in my brother's beautiful back yard. The evening weather was mild, and perfect for an outdoor gathering. Mia's cousin Lexi came with Ronna, and the little girls ran around the yard, squealing and giggling, and having such cousin fun. When Lexi arrived, Mia ran up and hugged "my cousin" - so sweet to see.

It was fun to see all of Katie's old friends, and catch up on their lives. Mia and Lexi spotted a lizard catching the last rays of sun on a retaining wall. They both ran back to us with excited faces, telling us about the "manimal" in the yard. I was surprised that Mia wasn't freaking out at the sight of a lizard, but I think since Lexi wasn't scared, she wasn't either. Instead, she got to see something interesting. Cousins are good for each other. At the end of the evening, the two little girls wanted to take a bath together, and they were delighted to splash and play together for awhile longer. I was truly sorry to see the evening come to an end. Between sweet baby gifts, sweet friendships and family, and 2 sweet little girls, I had a wonderful time. And Katie had the time of her life, which made it all worthwhile.

Today was spent packing, and packing, and packing... so much to pack up! Mia wanted to know if Mema was going on the plane too...*SIGH* If only I could... L came home early from work for the big farewell, and to help with the heavy lifting (2 bins of STUFF!) at the airport. Mia was hooked up to her Curious George backpack leash (because she can be a naughty monkey at the worst possible times - like in a crowded airport), and she looked a little confused about what was happening. It had been a big day, but she still had big hugs for Mema and Papa. Oh! it was hard to see them walk into the terminal!
So now, I'm preparing to go back to work tomorrow, and I'm feeling very grumbly about it. I still have things to look forward to, however. Ronna and the kids are still here for a couple more weeks, and son Rex (Ronna's other half) will arrive tomorrow for a long weekend visit. It will be wonderful to see him. And that automatically means seeing Ronna and the kids again, and that makes me smile.
So many memories were made in the past nine days. So many little anecdotes to tell, so many cute sayings. These will be my memories of our 2 sweet princesses at 3 years old, and our little pirate at one year. (Who, by the way, is the fastest crawler I've ever seen!) All of the hugs, and playing, learning to take turns, Mia's big smile for Mema every morning, Matthew's blue eyes and mellow nature, and, for the girls: EVERYTHING PRINCESS -
Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray these memories I'll always keep. It was wild, it was chaotic, it was maddening at times - but it was a wonderful nine days that I'll relive over and over in my head for quite some time. And yes, now that the madness is over, its too quiet here. I need a few days to adjust back to Quiet and Orderly. But do I really want to? Well now - there's the question.

3 comments:

  1. I miss you already. I can't seem to let myself go to bed. I've been all weepy! Dang it ;-)We had such a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it's so hard to get back to "normal life" after such wonderful family visits! I'll be thinking of you as you adjust back into Neat and Orderly!!

    Love the pictures of your precious grandkids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a little teary reading this. I think it's because I am a far-away grandma, too. And I know the feeling.

    =)

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed