Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Monday, July 6, 2009

Mia and the Spider

The girls are here: Katie and Mia. Things got off to a bit of a rocky start, as Mema (me) is not used to keeping up with 3 year olds. Mema is not used to running up and down stairs 10 times an hour. Mema is not used to dealing with the serendipitous appetites of small, busy girls. Mema got a little cranky and cried a little bit (OK - a lot) about her lack of super grandma skills. But Mema has an amazing daughter who really is the grownup at all times (unlike Mema), and she also has a really good husband who tells her to buck up. And so she did.
By the time it was time to go to the park for fireworks, we were all having a good time. Mia's eyes sparkled and she kept turning around and saying "This's fun, Mema, huh?" And Mema had to agree that YES - this was fun. Having a sweet little girl choose your lap to sit in for the fireworks show is definately fun. My grandma self esteem went up many notches after that.

Today was a busy one. Katie and Mia visited Michelle and Maddy in the morning, whilst I tried to get some things for the big birthday party this Saturday. At noon we all met at my parents' house in Newport Beach for some lunch and swimming. Mia donned her mermaid swimsuit and goggles and swam like a...well...a mermaid. My dad got in the pool, and she jumped to him, and swam all around him. All with her goggles in place so she could see underwater. She loves to swim. I wish I had gotten some pictures, but - of course - I'd forgotten my camera. Katie took some, so I'll get some from her. My family (except for Katie) is camera impaired, but Katie is so extraordinary that she makes up for the rest of us.

After swimming, we made a stop at The Rhinstone Guy in Santa Ana. Katie makes beautiful hairclips for little girls' hair from silk flowers that are all fancied up with Swarovski crystals. You can see some of them at http://miamoodesigns.blogspot.com/ Oh - and she puts the crystals on the cutest flip flops. Mia has several pairs of these - darling! Anyway - I'm getting to my cute story of the day. While we were waiting for Katie to make her selections, Mia spotted a big long legged spider crawling along the baseboard of the place. Mia doesn't like bugs and she started to freak out a little bit, pointing and saying "Scarey spider!" I took her on my lap and said that he was a friendly fellow. So she turned her big eyes to me and said "Yeah, fwendly, huh?" I told her that he didn't want to hurt her - he was just on his way home to get a hot dog and a cold drink. She watched the spider for a minute, thinking it over. Then she looked at me and asked, "With ice?" Yeah - that's what I love about 3 year olds. They don't even question a hot dog-eating spider.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't being a grandma fun? (Having said that, I have also had those moments you describe when the whole things gets a little overwhelming!)

    But the excellent times far outweigh the crazy ones..

    Have fun, Mema!

    =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. it all sounds so fun! i KNOW you are a great grandma... it is just something you do. and i KNOW it.

    promise.

    i can't find katie's email... for some reason would you mind having her email me her address. i may finally send out my "prizes".

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed