Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Princess Mia Meets the Other Five

I'm sitting her listening to John Schmidt's lovely piano. It always makes me feel a little melancholy because his compositions are so achingly beautiful. It makes me want to get my piano repaired (big job/much neglect over the years) and start to play again. One day.

L is packing to go to Utah to see Andrew - probably part of the reason for the melancholy. I have plenty to do here, but I do miss him when he's gone. Phone conversations just aren't the same as cuddling in bed discussing the day's events, and having a laugh or two. Or many. But really, if you don't know who John Schmidt is, you should go to i-Tunes and find out. His music can make you alternately a little sad (as previously mentioned) but also quite joyous. I love music that can run the gamut of emotions. His compositions are amazing, and just what I need after an entire day at Disneyland.
Did you hear me? We were SEVEN HOURS at Disneyland today! With a three year old!! I would have bet you that we'd be there 3-4 hours tops. But what fun we had! We saw Sleeping Beauty's castle - so thrilling for a little girl who had talked about it all morning! We had a ride on the gorgeous old carousel. Then - and THEN - we had lunch with the Princesses at Ariel's Grotto in California Adventure. Oh. My Goodness. I've never seen Miss Mia so excited. She literally jumped up and down in place while waiting her turn with each princess. There were five in all: Ariel, Aurora (Sleeping Beauty), Belle, Snow White, and Cinderella. She knew each one, and was so thrilled when her turn came. Honestly, I wish I had a video to show you, it was that cute. Katie took lots of pictures, but my memory card filled up (augh!! I need to get a bigger one!) and most of mine weren't that good. But look at this one with Cinderella. She was in awe. It was worth every one of the bazillion dollars I had to pay to have this experience with Princess Mia.
After lunch we walked back to the Disneyland side and rode Small World TWICE. Mia went once with Mama, and once with Mema. After that, we decided to test our luck and see if Mia would be able to last the 30 minute wait for Pixie Hollow, and a visit with Tinkerbell. She was so good, and was able to have some cute pictures taken with Tink and another fairy called Silvermist. I got her a Tink doll on the other end (there is never a missed opportunity to take your money!), and she loved that silly doll the rest of the afternoon. Again, worth every dollar.
We hiked back to the California Adventure side again, sat through a show at Mickey's Clubhouse. She clapped and jumped, (and one time decided she wanted to go onstage! Mama had to discourage that and quickly distract), and thoroughly enjoyed the singing, bubbles, and characters that are part of the show. Anyone with a small child should be sure to go to this, although be forewarned: you have to sit on the floor!
We arrived back home tired, more than a little bit hot and sweaty, but with enough magical memories to send me into a sweet sleep tonight. I think we locals sometimes get jaded and weary of Disneyland. But when we get a chance to take a small child for their first visit, it's amazing how the magic and detail come sharply into focus again. It truly does become The Happiest Place on Earth.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks you so much mom! We had so much fun and Mia was in Princess Heaven! She's fast asleep and I need to post my pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I and my entire family have always been Disneyland freaks. Some of Dave's and my best memories as a couple have been taking our little ones there and watching the wonder.

    It is truly magical, especially when you go on a weekday (or a slightly drizzly one).

    Glad you had such a good time with your cute Mia.

    =)

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed