Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Friday, July 17, 2009

Quiet Life, Love & Laughter

The old man and I are back to staring at each other now that the little ones, with all of their toys, and laughter, and silliness are gone. The house is so quiet and still with only the two of us bumping around in it. Mealtimes are normal and mundane. L and I don't dine on frozen peas and hot dogs. I don't have to coax him to take "just one more bite." I don't have to pretend to be scared of the roaring "Lion King" (Mia) over and over and over... and over... And no little girls making silly faces. It is very quiet.
Luckily, I like staring at L. He's my best friend. With benefits. It's been nice to get back to talking about our day, and spending some quiet time together before bed. I've missed our nightly walks, and the long conversations during them. He makes me laugh, even when I don't feel like laughing. He's good for my soul.
This is why being a grandparent is sooooo nice. You can take total credit for your grandkids' cuteness, but you're one step removed from taking the everyday responsibility for their every need. (Usually, anyway.) I find that I get nostalgic for all of the craziness and hubbub, but I would miss the quiet moments with L even more. So grandparenting is perfect for me - it's the best of both worlds. I wish everyone lived a little closer (thank goodness for Scott - he's the only one who has stuck around!), but really - it does give me an excuse to get on a plane and go for a visit.


We had a little earthquake last night. I didn't hear anything about it later, so I'm guessing it was pretty local. And small. But for just a second or two, while it was shaking, L quietly reached for my hand - for reassurance? so I wouldn't be scared? so he wouldn't be scared? It was very calming and very reassuring to have this man by my side. We watched TV for awhile more, and he tickled my back while I went to sleep. I had sweet dreams.

2 comments:

  1. The peace is always welcome, as is the ability to have an adult conversation and hear each other think. But I always do miss the grandkids when they go home. And I can never wait to see them come knocking on my door again.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, we picked up Zach from the airport today and all was good in the world again. Mia was a his little barnical (spelling?) all day...it was cute. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed