Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Monday, August 10, 2009

Cleaning, Painting, & Family (not necessarily in that order)

I have a question for anyone who cares to answer. I have a lot of books I've read in the last little while that, while I had a good time reading them, they're not really books I want to save, and read again, and save some more. But, in my opinion, it's kind of a sin to throw away a book. Some are hard back, which makes the sin even more grievous. A couple of them are fast read summer novels, a couple are David Sedaris collections of his satiric stylings. I thought most of the selections were funny, but everyone may not. My mother would not. Anyway, what do y'all do with books that you don't really want to keep, but you just can't throw away? Especially when they don't particularly scream someone's name as a referral? You know, as in "I just know that my daughter would love this book!" Only a couple of them are book club worthy - but they were enjoyable reads all the same. Can you drop them into the book depository at the local library? (Free books for them!)
I know this is a relatively trivial subject, but it's been a hot topic on my mind ever since Saturday, when I cleaned out my closet in honor of the carpet cleaners impending arrival. I was shocked at how many books I'd stuffed away, and it would be nice to find them a good place to go. Like the library, if they'll take them. Maybe some of you have better ideas, so I'll wait.

L worked hard Saturday on the new armoire/entertainment center for the living room. One coat of buttery yellow paint on, one more coat to go. The doors are all painted, and ready for me to start painting my design on them. I spent a couple of hours on Saturday thinking about what that design would be, and I think I have it all figured out. I've posted a couple of pictures of what it looks like in it's present state. You'll have to wait for the good stuff. Genius cannot be rushed. (That's code for: I'm half afraid to start.) But start I will, (because L won't let me put it off much longer). Remember: that's why I YloveY him.
It's going to be a busy week. First of all, we need to grocery shop. Our dinners have reached the point of desperation. New provisions must be purchased, and soon. Tonight we have an appointment with the stake pres - actually L does, but they want me there too. As many of you can relate, that just gives me a nervous tic. But I'll put my game face on, and go support. Then we'll need to walk to relieve tension. Thursday night: color my hair!! Roots everywhere. Terrible. Last Saturday was to have been the day, but Betsy got sick. I tried to be understanding, with sincere concern in my voice, but I was really thinking *CRAP!* and had to resort to the spray-on root touch-up. Friday: both Tim and Andrew fly in. Tim (with girlfriend Ashley in tow) from NYC, and Andrew from Provo. My youngest brother will also be here from Indiana, en route to Education Week at BYU. I guess he's taking a break from being a doctah, and it'll be good to see him. He's an ENT - otherwise known as a booger doctor. We have to keep him humble. So, you can see its a family filled weekend ahead.
Most importantly: Friday, August 14th is my grandma's 98th birthday. She is one of the most amazing women I've ever known, and I'm so lucky to have had her in my life. More on this lovely lady on Friday. A Friday Sweet Treat.










2 comments:

  1. I would LOVE some books! Zach LOVES David Sadaris (can't remember the spelling) so send those our way :) I would like some fun summer quick reading novels. Also the answer to your question is yes, you can donate to the library. You can also put them in a box labeled "free" and put them outside the door of the library for all to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our library even has a special slot for donations...And I have to admit that I use it frequently.

    Your project sound wonderful, and I can't wait to see pictures. I wish I had that kind of artistic ability. Writing I can do, but when it comes to artistic endeavors, I am at the remedial level. Seriously. Many a relief society sister has been known to take over my arts and craft project as an act of mercy. (And probably because she couldn't stand to watch any longer!)

    As for the meeting with the Stake President, watch out!! I think you know how our last such meeting concluded...

    heehee

    =)

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed