Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Nightstand Paraphernalia

My blogging friend, Sue, posted a little game on her blog this morning called "What's On Your Nightstand?" In it, she detailed, complete with pictures, the items on her husband's nightstand as well as the items on hers. They were both neat and tidy. Ve-e-e-ry neat and tidy... You can see what I mean here.

L's nightstand, likewise, is very neat and tidy. Utilitarian. Functional. It boasts a lamp, a clock radio (to which he plugs in ear buds & listens to random talk radio that lulls him to sleep), a coaster (for evening Diet Cokes) and the TV remote (of course). Exhibit A on the left (L's):














Aaaaand Exhibit B on the right (mine)

My nightstand is ordered chaos. (Did you know that my middle brother has always called me Khaos? With good reason...) There is, of course, the lamp. And the clock radio. On top of that I have a dark washcloth to throw over the digital display of the clock because it shines like a lighthouse at night. There are the tins of Badger Balm ( applied to my "eye contour" area to moisturize and protect - my husband finds this hilarious), and Burt's Bees lip balm ( I hate chapped lips and I love Burt's Bees balm because it's pepperminty!) Usually there's an elastic band thrown there after shaking my glorious mane of hair loose for the night (heavy sarcasm there). In front of the lamp is a tiny Swarovski crystal clam shell with a crystal pearl . My dad saw it in a shop in Italy, and thought it looked like something I would like. He was right.
Then there's the pedometer. I like to know the distance I walk. It makes my aching ankle feel better if its an especially long distance.
I also have a coaster, although my late night Diet Cokes are rare. But I do like ice water. Resting on the coaster is the book I'm currently reading, "My Sister's Keeper." I've already read the ending,(Yeah. I secretly unwrap Christmas presents too.) but I still need to find out how we arrive there.
On the left, in front, is my scripture case. My B of M is not in there right now because L and I are studying it for our FHE, and it's acting as an oversized bookmark for the book on top: Ludlow's Study Companion for the Book of Mormon. Below that, lies the latest copy of Lucky Magazine - haven't even cracked it open yet. Fashion possibilities still await discovery. Hopefully this weekend. Below that is a coffee table edition of "Joseph Smith's America." It's from my parents' house, and I was just getting into that when we decided to study the B of M for our FHE. So, I haven't finished it yet, as there are only so many church-y things I can read at one time. Gotta ease into this gospel study thing slo-o-w-w-l-y. Below that are 2 unread months of Sunset magazine and 2 unread copies of Natural Health magazine. I'll get to them all... eventually.

So, as you can tell, my nightstand is basically a small Barnes & Noble, complete with beauty supplies, a clock to remind me it's closing time, and a snack section. And a small, delicate reminder that my dad thought of me in Italy.



What's on yours?

2 comments:

  1. LOL, I just threw out my nightstand because it smelled like mildew really bad! BUT--it was WAY chaotic with pictures, books, and a lot of crap-Mia's random toys, etc. I wish I was more orderly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fun to see this! This mime is really a good one. (Fiauna is actually the one who came up with it.) But honestly, it does give some pretty interesting insights...

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed