Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Friday, August 28, 2009

Put Another Candle On The Birthday Cake...

"Put another candle on the birthday cake, you're another year old today!" If you know who sang that song on his daily afternoon TV show back in the day (Sheriff John), then you're my vintage. But I come here today not to talk about my birthday (because it's not my birthday), but to wish a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my oldest (in terms of years of friendship, NOT age) and dearest friend, Marion. I think I've said before that we have a tradition of calling each other on our birthdays, and today was her day. She was on her way north from her home in Olympia, Washington, to a place called Sequim, which, I have learned, is the lavender capital of North America.I like it already. Anyway, she was on the road on her way to spending her birthday with a friend when I called. I can never get over how good it is to talk to her, and I can never figure out why I don't call her just about every day. We laugh, we reminisce, we catch up with each other's families, we become girls again. I love every minute of conversation I have with her.

We had a wonderful weekend visit last year, when she came down here to Southern California. I've never been to Washington state, and I'd love to go there to visit her. L went on his mission there a couple of years ago *wink wink* and I know he'd love to go back and relive his not so wasted youth. I'm kind of hoping - really really hoping - that we can go up there this fall. I want to see misty rain, and greenness everywhere, and I want to see Marion.
Here we are as 8th graders a million years ago:














I am the dorky one on the left (feeding her duck, Phoebe June), and she is the ultra cool one on the right. I can't tell you how much I coveted her desert boots and velour top. *sigh* And her long, straight blonde hair.

After many many *many* more years, here we both are last year around our birthdays. We always say that each birthday we wake up even more beautiful than the year before. I'm finally starting to believe it.


HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARION, AND MANY MANY MORE!

I wish you good health, love, and every happiness. Thank you for being my friend since crazy 6th grade. You've enriched my life in a hundred different ways, you've always known what true friendship is about, and I love you so much!

3 comments:

  1. I do love a good tribute! Your friend sounds wonderful, and the pics of you two are pretty great.

    And yes, I DO remember Sheriff John. Was he also the one who had us drink our milk with that red light, green light game?

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the last picture... you both are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Happy Birthday Marion! I still say our trip to visit her in Morro Bay was one of my favorite trips ever! Wish I could go to Washington with you...

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed