Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Blood Donor Rejects

UCLA was having a blood drive today on behalf of the Doyle family, who (you may remember) recently lost their little Evelyn Grace to leukemia. It was a small gesture in which I thought I could do something towards helping sick children. So the three of us in the office here - Olga, Teresa, and I - set out at noon for the city of Orange with the best of intentions, and more than a little anxiety on Olga's part about the needles.
We got there (after much aimless driving around -it was hard to find), they were happy to see us, we're feeling good, we're filling out paperwork and questionaires, and then ALL THREE OF US got rejected. What are the odds??? Teresa, because she lived in Great Britain and Spain during the 80s, Olga because she is deficient in iron, and me because I take 1 mg of prednisone (a steroid) every day. Kind of took the wind out of our sails. We were on a feel good/do good mission and we completely failed. Our hearts were in the right place, but I wish I had known all of this before we went. I would have worked a little harder to get others to go, rather than just myself.
Some days you just can't do a good deed no matter how hard you try.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, but your heart was in the right place, Karen. And that's what counts.

    My blood gets rejected, too. Nobody wants a transfusion full of insulin or crazy T cells (lupus)...Go figure.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got rejected last time because I'm borderline anemic. Now I just use that as my excuse to not ever do it, LOL. I did it once at a blood drive in high school and I remember I felt so weak and sick for days after and my arm got all bruised. Good for you ladies anyway for trying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A for effort! At least you tried! :)

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed