Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Friday, September 18, 2009

I Love A Good Surprise

I've been sitting on a surprise all week. This person - Ashley -


traveled all the way from Florida today, leaving at 5:00am and bravely conquering the perils of standby at more than one airport in order to spring a surprise visit on this person - Scott.


The hardest part (besides keeping the secret) was trying to figure out how to coerce Scott into coming to my house after work on Friday to pick up Ashley. I finally decided to tell him that he'd received a registered letter that he needed to come pick up. He sounded wary and a little annoyed, (the last thing you want to do on a Friday night is make a trip to Mom's...because he's, you know, BUSY.)

But the surprise was a success - believe me, I have enough experience to know that not all surprises are good ones - it was with great relief that this one came off a winner! Don't they look happy? I was able to spend a lovely afternoon with Ashley before Scott came home to monopolize her time.


Ain't love grand?



On another note, we've made some progress on our cabinet, thanks to some great suggestions, and experienced help (THANKS, Nichole!) One more door to be finished yet, and then the varnishing can begin. We're still looking for just the right door handles. I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for but I'll know it when I see it. So here I'll just show you a little hint of how it will look when it's done.







I really love how soft and weatherbeaten it looks! It was a bit of a nail biter watching L rub off a lot of my painting. When I paint it tends to be painstakingly detailed, and even though I knew it would be rubbed off and weathered out, it was a little hard to watch. But L did an amazing job, and I think the finished product is just what I'd hoped for. I'm really excited about getting it into the house. It's a good week when you get two great surprises.

3 comments:

  1. I think we all wanna know more about Ashley! What a nice surprise! LOVE the painting job!! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like fun with the lovey-dovey stuff.

    As for the beautiful work of art you are creating. Wow! I am completely impressed. That piece is to die for now, and I would buy it in a minute. It's going to be a great addition to your home.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott sounded so happy when I talked to him this weekend! Wish I coulda been there to hang out with you girls on Friday to see the surprise. I just love Ashley. Love the weathered look and all your new improvements. Love this color A LOT more than the yellow!

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed