Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

She's A Spunky Rib-Lovin' Lady

I feel like I've been ignoring everyone this week, but it's been very very busy at work. Can you imagine? No time to blog at all... I hate when that happens!
We had a wonderful afternoon at the Claim Jumper on Saturday with (most of) my family to belatedly celebrate my grandmother's 98th birthday. When her birthday really happened on August 14th, my parents were out of town, an aunt was IN town and visiting with my grandma, and it just wasn't a good time to have her all to ourselves. So we waited until last Saturday and celebrated with lots of food and dessert. My grandma ate lots of her favorite barbequed ribs, and even had some to left over to take home. When the time came for dessert, everyone said they didn't want any, and my dad looked sad, so my husband whispered "Tell the waitress you want the Motherlode chocolate cake." So I did, and my dad looked really happy again. (Sometimes I have to look out for my dad that way.) Claim Jumper's Motherlode cake is 8 layers of decadent, gooey, rich chocolate, so there was enough for everyone, and of course everyone decided they wanted dessert after all. (Hmmmm... and actually the picture shows the little red velvet cupcake they brought Grandma and not the Motherlode. Pity. ) Take my word for it, though, it's yummy.
It was a fun afternoon, full of family and laughing. My grandma leaned over and told me how much she enjoys getting out and seeing everyone. People energize her - they really do. Too soon it was time to go and we helped my aunt get her out to the car, and said our goodbyes and I love yous.
I'm probably repeating myself, but my grandma is one of a family of 9 sisters and 2 brothers. They're all gone now, except for her sister Beulah, who is almost 101, and her younger sister Bonnie, who is very ill in the hospital right now. When my grandma got home that afternoon, she found out that her sister Beulah had passed away that day. Now, I know that 101 years old is a ripe old age, and it was to be expected, and even, in a way, to be cheered. But my grandma is taking it hard, and I know she's so worried about Bonnie. I've been wondering what it must feel like to be the (almost) sole survivor in your family. Lonely, I would imagine. I keep thinking that soon she'll want to go home too, and that is a hard thought for me. I try to remember that I'll need to feel happy and joyous for her, but then I can't help selfishly wanting her to stay longer. So then I try to focus on the fact that a woman who can put away as many ribs as she did, and a baked potato and a piece of Motherlode cake really isn't the sort of woman who's ready to leave this world anytime soon. It does my heart good. Love you, Grandma!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like you've got some amazing longevity in your genes. (And a REALLY cute grandma!)

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love claim jumper's motherload chocolate cake, it's seriously the best cholocalte cake! My Mom bought the whole motherload cake for my Dad's 50th birthday, not just a slice but the whole cake! It is a huge cake and he loved it. The Motherload cake reminds me of him. Wish I could have a slice right now! So glad everyone had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your grandma looks amazing! It's so sad when they begin to lose all the people they grew up with. My granny is almost 101. I love her to bits, but she's been talking for years about how she can't wait to "get her wings". There will be many people waiting for her on the other side!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nana looks great! Wish I could have been there, and oh how good Claim Jumper sounds right now!

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed