Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Friday, October 16, 2009

Finishing Touches


I thought I'd share this Seattle panorama that L shot from our hotel room on our last night there. He took 3 different shots and then pieced them together for a panoramic view of the city lights. You can see the Space Needle way off in the distance. It was a gorgeous night, and a beautiful city.
Actually, I don't have anything much to go on about. Sure, we had our little rainstorm (all of LA was on STORMWATCH) but yesterday was 80+ degrees, and today its in the 90's. It's nuts. Two days ago I was wearing sweaters and boots, and today it's short sleeves and sandals. I was lucky enough to get my new soft top installed on the car before it started raining - that could have been bad. But everything is all snug and dry, and its nice going into fall knowing that I'm prepared for what little weather LA conjures up.
The weekend will be spent finishing projects. I've completed the painting on the yellow cabinet. L needs to beat up the remaining door and make it look old to match the rest of it. Then - we can varnish and attach the door handles and INSTALL in the living room. It was a good feeling to finish the painting on it last weekend.
We've also got another project going: my project table that will go in my project room/playroom. (The room is mostly for me and my projects, but when the grandkiddies are here, it will double as their playroom and movie room.) The base is built, stained black, varnished, and put together. The tabletop is all built, but needs to be stained, and I'm not quite satisfied with the stain color. So Saturday I'll be playing with two different stains to get just the right color. I'd like it to have a touch of red in it - so I'll be mixing some "Cabernet" stain into the other one. Then, finish it super high gloss - L thinks I'm nuts, but I have a vision! (Actually, I have a pair of red patent leather sandals that have a high gloss red/antiqued black base and heel. They're sort of my inspiration here - although maybe not so much red. Just wait - you'll see. It will be what you call an "accent piece.") He's built such a pretty table that I can't wait to get it finished. I have some Halloween painting to do, and thenI can get around to the Christmas projects! (And yes, Katie - your dresser, too...) It's been good to get back to painting - frustrating at times because I'm so out of practice, but I'm having such fun with it! When we have some completed furniture, I'll post some pictures. I think everything has turned out (so far) really well, and the good therapy provided during the hours of painting and woodworking have been priceless. I've always - since childhood - enjoyed working on a project of one kind or another - very soothing and satisfying to the soul. And when Mama's happy, everyone's happy.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the finished product!

    =)

    PS. And yes, today I'm in sandals and short sleeves, too. Pretty crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOOh Can't wait to see it! Sounds pretty :) Mia and I are sitting here painting as we speak! I'm working on her little wood dolls for Christmas and she's painting on some construction paper very proud of herself!

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed