Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Friday, November 6, 2009

Passings & Birthdays & Babies (oh my!)

Different kind of day today. My sister-in-law's father passed away last Sunday, and today was his memorial service. Jack was a character - and that's putting it mildly. But he was a character in a good way, an interesting way. He loved to organize and mobilize a room - definately a take charge kind of guy, and sometimes that could get to you a little bit. But oh, what a heart this man had - and such love for his family! The various speakers all gave a little bit of insight into this man- things that I hadn't known before, despite all the years I'd been pretty much related to him. His two grandsons (my nephews) gave tearful tributes that were so sweet to hear. Honestly, it made me look forward to the day when I can see him again - truly. If I had known he was so much fun, I might have put a little more effort into getting to know him better. And isn't that the saddest thing of all? Too bad we don't put that kind of effort into things while they're still here with us. I've come to the conclusion that the true value of funerals and memorial services is just that: they inspire us to fly higher, do better, be better. And today I was inspired by Jack and his valuable yet quirky time here on earth. I would like to have it said of me, as it was of Jack, that I was good hearted, generous, and gave selflessly to my family and others. But like Jack, I would also like people to find the fun in knowing me, to appreciate my quirks and eccentricities (and believe me, Jack was eccentric!). I would like to be seen as a bit unusual and out of the ordinary - a rare jewel, if that's not going too far. *sigh* I think I have a long way to go, and many many lessons to learn first. But I'm thoughtful tonight as I think about everything I saw and heard today. I'll try harder to be better, although my direction is often fuzzy, and it's difficult many times for me to have clarity. But I will try.

It was my dad's birthday today as well. He kind of got robbed, but I don't think he minded too much. He's not as worldly as I am, and so he set aside his birthday today to celebrate Jack's life instead. My dad is kind of an amazing guy. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. His mathematical abilities are astounding. I must have been a sore disappointment to him because from Algebra forward I was completely baffled by mathematics. Just too abstract for me. But he is tone deaf and can't hear notes properly, so maybe we're even. My dad is a legendary baby lover, and fun attraction for small children. He loves to take the little ones on walks to see what they can see. My own kids have memories of little hikes with him. He is generous and kind (although completely, unintentionally tactless). He has been good to me my whole life, even though there were times when I didn't deserve it. So Happy Birthday, Dad! We will celebrate tomorrow, and share some cake with you. I love you.

Another big event for our family tomorrow: our fourth grandkiddie will be born tomorrow morning. Katie is going in for a C-Section at 7am tomorrow. Puerto Rico is 4 hours ahead of us here in California, so by the time I'm waking up, little baby girl will be born. I know what her name will be, but I'll wait for Katie to announce it - that's only fair. We're all wondering whether she'll be a bald baby, or whether she'll come out looking like she's wearing a bad wig like her sister Mia did.
Will she have pale skin, or will she have skin that tans like Mia? (Since they're under the brutally hot son most of the time in Puerto Rico, I'm voting for the tan skin - but either is lovely.) Mia has beautiful golden curls. Maybe Baby will have silky straight hair. Tomorrow we'll know, and tonight I'm just praying that all goes well tomorrow for my baby, Katie. I will come back and report.


Mia then and...

Mia now.

Baby Sister? To be determined....

2 comments:

  1. the rainbow photo is gorgeous. I hope all goes well with your new grand-baby tonight!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is exciting news, Karen! There's nothing better than a new baby, and I hope everything about the delivery goes as smoothly and easily as possible.

    Can't wait to see pics. (Little Mia sure is a beauty...)

    =)

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed