Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Sunday, November 1, 2009

No Kids at Halloween...More Chocolate for Me!

Yay! We finally got the new cabinet installed in the living room this weekend! (I'm using the old one temporarily in my office for much needed storage!) We're still kind of getting used to it, but it really warms up the room.

Other than furniture moving, our weekend consisted of antiquing my project tabletop on Saturday morning. It was kind of a deep claret red, and I mixed up black oil paint and paint thinner and slathered it all over it. Scarey... and thenI rubbed it off like a madwoman. I had to add and subtract a couple of times before I got it right. Now, the center of it glows red and fades to black on the edges. I can't wait to get it varnished - that always makes the layers of color come out and kind of glow. I'll post pictures when it gets more photogenic. For now, here are a couple of the new cabinet:







Aren't the handles AWESOME?!? So beefy and rustic.
After the antiquing frenzy, we cleaned up and headed to the movies: Amelia. Go see it. Amelia Earhart's story is intriguing, and the movie didn't disappoint. Beautifully filmed, and Hillary Swank was good and looked just like her.

We got out early enough to go and catch a quick dinner down in Costa Mesa - right next to one of our favorite stores, and they were having a 50% off sale on all Halloween items. Woo hoo!! So, we stocked up with some really cute things before going to dinner. A shame that we only got to enjoy them for the one evening, but what fun they'll be to pull out next year! We chose an orange silk table runner embroidered with sparkly spider webs and trimmed with black feathers at each end. Also, a cute black metal lantern detailed with jack o'lanterns, black cats, and bats and a spooky poem that glows eerily when a candle is placed inside. We also picked up a dozen ceramic eyeballs for our Halloween spooky jar. Next year, a dozen more.

We rushed back for the trick or treaters, but were a little disappointed that we had so few this year. Oh well, our house was decked out, and for the few that came, we handed out great handfuls of candy. Honestly, did other neighborhoods experience a lack of kids this year? We had to go out around 8:00, and there were hardly any kids out at all. Our neighborhood typically gets very few - it's a little isolated and tucked away - but this year was very sparse. I was wondering if parents would rather their kids go to parties rather than roam neighborhoods in the dark these days. I think I might, if I had it to do over again. A shame - I remember Halloween night being one of the most exciting nights of the year. One year (I was quite small) my dad sent me up to a house while he waited with the other dads by the street. There was something on the porch covered in white. When we rang the doorbell and yelled "Trick or Treat!" the thing on the porch came to life with a huge roar - it was a vacuum cleaner covered with a sheet to look like a ghost, and when the kids came to the door, the people would turn the vacuum on. All I remember is running as fast as I could back to my dad, and the man in the house chasing after me saying "Come back sweetheart - I'm sorry! It's okay!" That is still one one of my most vivid memories - that, and the birthday clown chasing me across the yard. But that's a story for another day.

I hope you all had a wonderful, fun, and safe Halloween. And now the holidays are upon us. But I want to take a moment and say a big "Happy Anniversary" to Rex and Ronna - their 7th. Between 7th anniversaries, and a new granddaughter due to be born in a week,on the 9th, I truly have much to be thankful for these days. Life is good.

3 comments:

  1. The cabinet is a dream! Wonderful!! And I can't wait to see the table when it's ready.

    Really looks great, Karen.

    =)


    PS. And yes, we had very few trick-or-treaters this year. It's kinda sad, really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the way the cabinet turned out! Can't wait to see the red/black table in your room! One day I'll have my own work room to do all my projects...I can DREAM can't I? (Said with a very annoying voice, LOL)...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cabinet looks great. You both did a great job. I love that it's one of a kind. Cant wait to see it.
    Cant wait to see you too, only another 5 or 6 weeks. Yay! Thanks for remembering our anniversary.

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed