Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Me in 2010: Spiritual, Healthy/Thin, Unselfish - No One Will Recognize Me*

I'm not one for New Year's resolutions.  Too easy to forget and/or ignore.  Somehow, though, I want 2010 to be different.  I want to improve, be better.  I know this is something everyone feels, and its hard to describe, but this year I just feel differently about it.  More determined, maybe a little more scared.  There are just too many things I have no answers for.  I need help. So - starting with matters of most concern, or the things that will help me the most:

  • Attend the temple regularly.  In my case, this means simply to attend.  I don't know why this is so hard for me, but it is.  The clothes are a hassle, I'm tired after work, I don't want to go on a Saturday, the repetition drives me insane, the small dressing rooms combined with an inflexible body - all of the above.  But - there are certain things going on in my life that I have finally (being hard headed I guess) realized that I can't fix on my own.  I need help.  I need peace.  I need comfort.  I need to feel that unique peace and quiet with L.  And to get those things I need to go where they are.  And I'm always glad when I do.  And that will lead to help with:
  • Be more selective with what I choose to bring into my body.  For example, I know that sugar makes my joints more inflamed.  And yet I eat it.  Sometimes I eat it a lot.  And then I pay the price.  Every time.  I'm a smart girl - why do I keep doing this to myself?I mean, there's something very satisfying about peanut M&Ms or a lemon bar, but really -  it's time to stop.  I was given a blessing years ago to use caution with the things I allowed my body to come in contact with.  Time to listen to that warning before I damage myself any further.  Ditto for yummy carbs.  I love them but they most certainly DON'T love me back.  I want 2010 to be the year that I get a grip on better health.  And that will lead to...
  • Be more giving of my time to children, grandchildren, family.  Part of the selfishness I feel about my time is that I have so precious little of it after work.  There are many days when all I want to do is fall on my bed.  I have a sneaking suspicion, however, that the more time I spend with others, and, more importantly, FOR others, will give me more energy than anything else I could do.  It will condition me, make me stronger.  And hurray for that.  Will it make me less afraid to babysit grandchildren?  More bold about inviting them on outings and overnighters?  Hopefully so, because now I'm *in training* - starting next week in Puerto Rico.  I may need some naps, though.
There's more.  Oh, there's lots more, sadly enough.  But give a girl a break.  I think this is quite enough to concentrate on for one year.  No sense in discouraging myself before I even start.  
So here's to 2010.  The improvements and self discipline I'm planning to gift myself with in the coming year will help me to better cope with all that is going on in my life, in the lives of my family, and in the world around me.  We all need every ounce of strength we can muster for that.  So here's to you, and here's to me and mine: a toast to all of us in our quest for self mastery and those rare moments of perfection.  May our lives be blessed with mostly good things in the coming year, and the strength of character coupled with love of family and friends to help us through the times that try our souls.  Happy New Year!


*but first, I need to get out of my jammies...

3 comments:

  1. Reading your post, I continue to see how much we have in common. I could relate to every single issue you are working on, and I will be working on mine, too.

    It feels harder to do every little (and big) thing when you deal with a chronic illness, but I also realize (as you clearly do) that sometimes you just have to push beyond it all and LIVE. Unencumbered.

    It'll be fun to see how much both of us can accomplish toward that end this year!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! To no sugar while you're here! Ya think we can do it? I just got done taking my measurements and "before" pics of myself and I'm so mortified and embarrassed! Time to lose the baby weight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott's engaged?!! Yay!! That's awesome. I thought it would happen since his girl seems perfect. Congrats! Can't wait to see you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed