Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Monday, December 7, 2009

The Tree Lighting


This was the Christmas decorating weekend. We spent it dragging dusty old boxes in from the garage, setting up the tree, stringing lights (our tree predates the pre-lit ones unfortunately...), hanging ornaments, and swagging garland. The living room tree is a glorious combination of gold and purple and twinkling lights. This year Scott came over and helped me with the high parts. I really enjoyed that, and the tree is so pretty.
We have one tabletop tree in the kitchen sitting on top of a sideboard. I hang every little kiddie and old ornament I have on that one. Lots of handmade ornaments and decorations, all with special stories attached. By the time I'm finished it's packed solid with old memories, shiny glittery stars, and egg carton and pipe cleaner bells made through the years by my kids in school. I love that tree. It's pure nostalgia every year as I decorate it. One of my favorite old ornaments is an "eye of God" - you know those diamond shaped stick things that are wound round and round with yarn. My oldest son made it in kindergarten, only about 1/3 of the way through it, it looks like he lost his focus, and threw caution (and yarn) to the winds. It's more like an "eye of the hurricane", and I love it - it's so Rex Does An Art Project.
It always surprises me how long it takes to get everything out and place it around. Some things always go the same way, but others seem to be repurposed every year, but that's what keeps it fresh. This year, we wanted a wreath on the front door. The premade ones we saw that we liked were all in the $80 range and up, so I decided to make one (see picture above). I think it turned out just right, and it cheers me up every time I see the front door. After poking myself with wire several times, I started to get the vision of why someone would charge $80 for a wreath, but my fingers are healing, we have a gorgeous wreath, and I made it myself! I'm a satisfied customer.
The house is festive, (is there anything more magical than a dark room lit only by the glowing lights on the Christmas tree? Heaven...) my shopping is almost done (key word being "almost"), and so now starts the wrapping frenzy. I like to wrap gifts, I really do. But after I've wrapped five or six, its gets a little tiring, (and boring) so I need to pace myself. I have one gift I'm painting, and so I paint a little on that, and then I wrap a little. Plus I need to make sure I get some physical activity worked in somewhere - I can't sit all day at work, and then come home and sit some more. I mean, I could, but I can't. My joints will freeze up like the Tin Man.
Its raining really hard today. I wish I was at home so I could hear it. But more than that, I wish I was home so I didn't have to drive in it. PJ's sound so good right about now, and I'm wondering if I can discipline myself to do yoga instead of going out in the rain to the gym. Hmmm - do you think baking cookies qualifies as aerobic activity? No, probably not. I mean, there's bending and stretching to get them in and out of the oven, but there'll be eating too. I'm pretty sure that trumps any aerobic benefit.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, but you've forgotten about the aerobic chewing, Karen. To say nothing of the peristaltic swallowing motions.

    Your wreath is gorgeous! You are such a talented creator of beautiful things.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm already jealous of your house because I just know it looks amazing. You are so artistic and I wish you could help me decorate mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your wreath! Great job making it! Wish we lived closer so we can come enjoy all your Christmas decorations, treats, etc. Can't wait to see you after the new year :)

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed