Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Monday, January 18, 2010

Post Vacation Blues & Wedding News

I'm having a hard time getting back into routine.  When I checked my work email on Sunday night (after being on vacation for over a week) I found that I had over 300 emails waiting for me.  Seriously, I felt like crying.  It took me over an hour to just go through them, weeding out the junk, dealing with a few, and at least whittling the list down to the necessary 160 left to deal with this morning on my first day back to work.  I don't know what's worse: that desperate feeling you get when you haven't had any breaks or vacation for awhile, or that sick feeling you get when you have to go back to work after being gone - and you know all of the misery that's waiting for your return.  It almost makes you swear off of vacations.  Almost.
There's just so much to think about right now - work seems like such an annoyance, except that it pays for all of the other things you'd rather be doing.  We have a wedding date, folks, for Scott and Ashley.  June 19th.  I was able to meet Ashley's mother on Saturday over lunch.  She was out from Florida for the weekend to try to get some things accomplished.  And dang if she didn't - they actually got a dress! (At a wonderful bridal boutique recommended by ME!)  She had her eye on a venue for the reception and pre-wedding dinner, but I never did hear if they were able to see it, or if it was what they wanted.  Seriously, in all the discussion about this dinner menu, and that reception detail, I found myself really really glad that any and all decisions were not up to me.  I am merely the mother of the groom - you know, just be quiet and wear beige.  In all the wedding talk, I got one theme right - it is going to be very ambitious.  Totally wonderful, I have no doubt - but it made me a little tired.  Right now my big task is to come up with a guest list.  I think I can handle that.  The color scheme is going to be eggplant and jade.  So if any of you see a wonderful dress suitable for me that will fit in with that color scheme, let me know, won't you?  Actually, if you see any wonderful dress at all, let me know - I don't care what color it is.  
I've started Day One of The Diet.  So far, so good.  I stayed away from the office mini candy bars, and declined hot chocolate.  I had salad with grilled mahi mahi at Rubio's for lunch.  A small bowl of chili for dinner.  (My one sin was a square of cornbread - but I walked an extra mile in between rainstorms tonight).  Anyway, wish me luck - I'd really like to look better for the wedding AND feel better for life.  I'm not sure why weddings always make us want to be thin, but they do.  At this point, I'm trying to forget about THIN, and just accomplish LESS FAT.  I think that's possible.  L needs to stop bringing home Trader Joe's Kettle Corn, though.

2 comments:

  1. I, too, prefer being mother of the groom to being mother of the bride. I love planning the wedding dinner...not so much, the wedding. (Though I was glad to get to have the experience the one time, and it was wonderful, I'm also glad I never have to do it again!)

    Hang in, my friend...And I will keep my eyes open for a dress.

    =)

    PS. I will answer your email soon...I just read it and have such a crazy day ahead that I decided to postpone answering till I have more than a minute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good girl! Can I start tomorrow? LOL i've exercised but had a tiny chocolate bar and pasta tonight...

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed