Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Feeling the Love

I'm back, I'm back!  L and I took a day away from home and responsibility to celebrate Valentine's Day.  We didn't go far - just to LA for dinner out, and a night away.  L always thinks of something thoughtful, and with all of the stress at work, even one night away from everything was heaven!  We went to dinner at a small Italian restaurant, and it smelled amazing the second we walked through the door.  Warm rosemary bread dipped in balsamic vinegar and olive oil, a beautiful salad topped with thick flakes of parmesan cheese, and finally the fettuccine topped with shrimp, scallops and artichoke hearts.  Flavorful, aromatic ingredients, all beautifully prepared and presented - a feast for all the senses!
When we could eat no more, we walked back to the car, which was parked along the street in one of those charming neighborhoods that boast little Spanish bungalow-type houses, built probably in the 30s.  We drove up through the avenues in the general direction of the temple, and ended up on Overland heading straight up towards the temple at dead center.  That view never fails to be both beautiful and inspiring.  I know it's not most people's favorite temple, but I'm fond of it.  After all, it's where I was married...(twice, actually, but who's counting?)  So what better place to drive to on Valentine's Day?  I love the huge front lawn, and the way it sits up on a hill, and the way it's lit up at night.  It seems to be protecting the little neighborhoods around it.
We continued to drive, further up into the streets above the temple, into Beverly Hills and the beautiful homes there, back down into Brentwood, and finally back to our hotel, which was close to LAX.  I love to take drives - I love to see things I haven't seen before, or maybe just see them in a different way, and the drive is so relaxing.
Back at the hotel, we got comfortable, and snuggled up to watch the Olympics, and smooch a little. Nothing is more romantic than being next to the love of your life, whether at home or in strange hotel rooms.  Girls younger than me might argue, but there's just something so...so... satisfying and yes, even sexy about hanging out with your best friend - the one who knows you better than anyone.  I never get tired of it.

So now we're back home, settling into routine.  I'm sitting at my table that L made for me, and outside are a couple of the young fathers on our street, out playing with their kids, watching them ride their bikes and scooters.  I love to see daddies out enjoying their little ones, and having a great time with them.  So much happy noise.
I wish I could have seen my little ones today.  I had to content myself with sending some treats, and cards with my love written in them.  Like so:

I made one just like it for Lexi and Matthew.  Pretty good, huh?  I made the brownies, and took a picture of one.  I did the rest on Picnik.com, and L printed them and trimmed them to card size.  Then we ate the brownies.  It was a lot of fun.  The kids will like the candy bracelets best, but this is what I enjoyed most!  And last, but not least, here is the "card" I made for L.  It was made with Photo Booth on my Mac.  I can't even tell you how many times I had to retake the pictures until I finally got this one that was halfway decent, but I sure had fun doing it.  Then over to Picnik for the special effects.  He loved it.  I mean, it screams I Love You, doesn't it?

3 comments:

  1. LOVE both cards! So cute! SOunds like you had a really nice Valentine's weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cards are GREAT! And it sounds like your Valentine's Day was, too. Kinda perfect, in fact.

    =)

    PS. I am one who loves the LA temple, as I grew up in the San Fernando Valley and was married there myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are the cutest couple ever!!! I love the LA temple. It's my favorite too, not just cause we were sealed there, but I just love the old, big temples. Happy Valentines Day! BTW, I love your bangs!

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed