Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Finding Balance and Bangs: Finding Grace in the Grow-out

Tai Chi kicked my butt last night.  I went in all cocky, thinking I was getting pretty good at all of this.  There were 3 other people in the class last night, all much more experienced than I, and I quickly came to realize that the Debbie had been taking it easy on me.  Humbling.  Completely humbling.  We did a series of 7 poses, each a little more challenging than the last, and we had to hold each one for a couple of minutes "so our bodies would remember."  Ohhhh yeah... my body is still remembering...  It wasn't that the poses were difficult in and of themselves.  It was the balance required to hold them.  I discovered I have no strength.  I don't habitually fall over (unless my ankles give way) or run into walls, so I'm assuming my basic balance is OK.  I think my core is weak and my muscles in general are weak.  I had a hard time holding any pose for more than 20 seconds.  I became a little discouraged, but in a way it also made me determined.  I remember this feeling when I used to ride horses, and in particular when I was learning to ride them over fences.  No matter how many times I got ditched off the horse, landing in a heap on the ground (sometimes going over the fence myself, instead of the horse - in a spectacular dismount!) it just made me that much more determined to get up and try again.  I think it's that way when you really like something, when you truly enjoy it.  A challenge is good in those cases - it keeps things interesting, and it makes any improvement you see that much sweeter.  So maybe it's good that I'm terrible at this.  It'll only be up from here!
I have one more decision I'm facing:  Grow out my bangs - Yes? or No?  I think I'm a little tired of them.  My hair is wavy and it's work to keep them straight.  So any moisture, any sweat, any humidity at all, and they're going at all kinds of wierd angles.  I think I'm ready for a change - I just have to figure out what to do with them in the meantime.  I'll look for cute clips and barrettes.  My main concern is that they not look weird in June for the wedding photos.  I think they should be pretty well grown out by then, right?  5 months away?  Anyone else done this?  How did you handle the grow-out period?  And if you're in your 20's bear in mind that I'm looking for things that would look appropriate on me.  At age 50+.  I mean, I try to be cute and darling, but there's a place where that ends and silly begins.  I need to not cross that line.  Nothing worse than a woman who's gone from being reasonably fun and stylish to Glamma the Clown Relives Her Wasted Youth.  (Well, unless you're Betsey Johnson.  See below.)  Because from there it's only one short hop to spiked leather dog collars, expressive tatoos, and hot pants.  (Again, unless you're Betsey Johnson.  Then you'd just be wearing wacky clothes.  Expensive, wacky clothes.) Maybe when I'm senile and don't know any better, (my children could parade me out for the ultimate payback) but not just yet.  Keep it simple.

4 comments:

  1. I love the way you are determined to succeed with the Tai Chi, and I bet it will change your life for the better. I am seriously considering taking it myself, because I know my core strength is not what it should be. And I bet my back would be a lot happier if I did something proactive to help it.

    As for the bangs, I am in the process of growing mine out right now. So far, it's been pretty painless. Once in a while, when I am really being driven crazy by them, I use those small butterfly clips (really subtle-looking ones) to keep it out of my eyes. I think you should go for it!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you are determined to succeed with the Tai Chi, and I bet it will change your life for the better. I am seriously considering taking it myself, because I know my core strength is not what it should be. And I bet my back would be a lot happier if I did something proactive to help it.

    As for the bangs, I am in the process of growing mine out right now. So far, it's been pretty painless. Once in a while, when I am really being driven crazy by them, I use those small butterfly clips (really subtle-looking ones) to keep it out of my eyes. I think you should go for it!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "i said a change, a change, would do you, would do you good" or so says Sheryl Crow. I need to change my hair myself. I am thinking a nice good cut. bobby pins are my best friend in aukward hair situations. when in doubt, pin it back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say grow them out! I agree, bobby pins are always a good way to hold them back...

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed