Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Saturday, February 27, 2010

My Headache Had A Name: The Devil

Ever have one of those nights when, for no reason you can figure, you wake up with a screaming headache about 4:00 in the morning?  I did, last night.  I got up, and my neck was all tense and crackly but I didn't want to take my special Excedrin/Advil cocktail on an empty stomach, and (unwisely) reasoned that if I plopped one of my herb/lavender/rice filled pillows on my head and over my eyes it would help.  Uh, no.  It didn't.  I woke up worse than ever.
My husband got me something to eat and I took my cocktail and laid back to let it do its hoodoo magic.  In about 30 minutes I felt better and I went to my eye exam appointment.  
It was during the exam that the evil started to return.  During the countless "this lens or this one?" and holding the black spoon over each eye and trying to read tiny letters my head started to pound again.  
I finally got home and my husband was tearing drywall off the bathroom walls.  He'd gone to 7Eleven and gotten his Saturday morning Tub 'O Diet Coke, and - being that caffeine is my secret headache weapon, I took several hits of that.  And more Excedrin cocktail.  I had a couple of errands to run, and then I thought I could come home and lay down if I didn't feel better.  So, dashing in and out of crazy rain and hail storms, I finally returned and decided to see if a nap would cure things.  L had to run out and do some Elder's Quorum things and was busy laying up treasures in heaven for himself serving the brethren for the afternoon.  I got all cozy and curled up with my pillows.  And that's when the upset stomach set in - probably from so much Excedrin.  I dozed on and off, but could never quite really fall asleep.
We were due at my mom and dad's for dinner so, being as I didn't feel any worse up than I did laying down, I decided to trudge over there with L and have some dinner.  My mom had a salad, some warm bread, and a crockpot full of homemade minestrone soup.  I don't know when anything has tasted so good.  Maybe the headache was going to leave anyway, but I think it was just Mom's cooking.  As soon as I started in on that soup I could feel it start to ebb away.  By the time dinner was over it was gone.  We had sherbet and fresh strawberries for dessert.  My whole life, my mom has made the simplest dinners seem so elegant and soooo delicious.  And no matter how old I get, when I'm not feeling good, there's nothing like mom taking care of me.  It takes me right back to my childhood sick days of soft boiled eggs and toast, and maybe a little jello.  Only tonight it was minestrone soup and warm bread.  I was comforted, I was warmed, I was nourished.  Thanks, Mom.

3 comments:

  1. Awwww, I'm glad you got some relief the good old-fashioned way. My mom's cooking nurtures me, too. I think it must be the feeling of being safe and loved that brings out endorphins enough to cure all.

    Glad you're doing better! I HATE headaches.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love Grandma! She really is great when you're sick-I have so many memories of her taking care of me :) And you too of COURSE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand the part about moms, but . . . maybe just taking it easy would have helped . . . like I ever do that.
    I don't really get headaches like that, but I know I couldn't stay still for a day anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed