Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Friday, March 19, 2010

The Big Boys' Race
















Tonight was the long anticipated Pinewood Derby for Big Boys.  L had to be there right at 6:30.  He didn't want to miss a thing.  I was dragging my feet just a bit, but finally got myself out the door.  We "walked" into the cultural hall (I was walking, but I swear L would have been running if I could've run too.)  All the man-boys were gathered around a big table, applying graphite to their wheels, making final adjustments, and weighing in.  L's car was a huge block of wood car.  His theory was, the heavier the car, the faster it will go.  Hmmmmm.... my heart had heavy misgivings as I looked at the other cars.  So trim, so pared down.  I tried to keep a positive look on my face.
L's car was racing in the "Open" division.  Basically, that means anything goes.  No weight requirements, it can have any crazy old thing attached to it, etc.  I took a look at the competition and felt a little better.  The Bishop's car was a skinny thing with balsa wood attached on top, and a rubber band propeller.  Heh.  That thing will be slower than anything, I thought.  No weight to it, and the propeller will slow it down.  I couldn't have been more wrong.  There were 3 cars in the Open Division.  We raced 3 times, and 3 times L's car came in dead last.  A huge, heavy slug of a car.  The winner every time?  The crazy propeller car.
But in our politically correct, and polite society, there came solace.  Everyone was a winner!  The man-boys all came away with award certificates (L's was a third place!  Third out of 3, but no one needs to know that, right?), and their choice of one of several types of large chocolate bars. (YES!  There was my validation for being there!)
It was actually a pretty fun evening.  The best part was watching L play with one couple's little twins.  They really seemed to like him, and he was having fun.  I think he's practicing for when the grandkids come in June.




PS: A huge weight rolled off my shoulders today: I found the florist we'll be using for the June wedding.  She is creative, very talented, and just starting out in business, so she's also very reasonable.  I seriously wanted to kiss her.

2 comments:

  1. Weel, his car looks cool! Even if it came in last place ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great that you found a good florist. I always care a LOT about the flowers, so that was one of my main things.

    I think the Pinewood Derby for big boys is a great idea. I think I'm going to suggest it for our ward...or better yet, for the singles ward. And let the girls compete, too.

    =)

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed