Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Looking Cool in the Workplace

I enter my work building through an underground parking structure.  Let me back up: I don't have a permit to park in the structure - I park just outside it, and then walk through it to the elevators.  Guarding the stucture on both entrance and exit sides from unauthorized parkers are those big wooden rails that go up and down when you swipe your key.  Directly above these rails are offices with big windows.
When I arrived at work this morning (always in a hurry because I'm usually a couple of minutes or more late) I gathered up my always-giant purse, and headed towards the closest rail.  The plan is to sweep gracefully by it on my way into the structure.  This morning, however, I had on a long black cardigan, which caught on the rail, so as I was walking fast (but gracefully) past, my sweater kind of dragged it with me for a second before I was able to shake loose.  In that split second it ricocheted back with a kind of B-O-I-N-N_G! before coming back and smacking me, causing me to lose my balance and stumble into the planter, tripping over the ivy ground cover.  Of course my purse was swinging wildly all over the place too.  
I quickly glanced up at the office windows above me, and wondered how many people saw me get spanked by a parking lot rail and then stumble like a drunken sailor into the weeds.  I'll never know, but it was kind of hard to take myself seriously the rest of the day.

The really sad part is that it's not the first time it's happened.


3 comments:

  1. OH my gosh, that's HILARIOUS! I'm sitting here literally laughing out loud with Mia-She started laughing because I was, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like something I would do (as I wander through life in a fog of my own making....). I am frequently off in la-la land thinking or dreaming about something other than what's right in front of me.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the second sad part is just before it all went down, I was walking along in my new Marc Jacobs sunglasses (that I'd just bought on sale during my Saturday eye appt) and was thinking how cool I looked. God has a funny way of spanking you into reality... I like his sense of humor, actually.

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed