Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Small Miracles


After a perfectly wretched day yesterday, where I had my patience and ego stretched to the limit,  I limped home early enough to make the 6:00 yoga class.  I figured I couldn't feel any worse,  and was hoping for a miracle.  And you know what?  I got it.  Partly from yoga, but largely from my granddaughter Lexi.
Last week I'd sent off Easter packages to Lexi, Matthew, and Mia.  (Hayden got left out this time - I couldn't find anything for her that wasn't bulky and I was trying to keep mailing costs to Puerto Rico down.  AND, this year at least, she won't know the difference.  Bad Grandma?  Maybe... but sensible Grandma?  Yes.)  I'd mostly forgotten about the packages until last night when I came home from yoga (nicely stretched out, detoxed, and relaxed, thank you) and L said "You had a little person call who wanted to talk to you about her Easter surprise.  She will call you back before bedtime."
What is it about these little ones that can turn the worst day into something quite special?  I felt better after class, but when I heard that Lexi had called me, every ounce of fatigue just faded away.  I waited and waited, and we had to go to the store (so annoying that we'd eaten all our food!) so I tried to call them, but ended up leaving a message that Mema would be at the store but I would have my phone.  Sure enough, in the middle of Henry's, I got the call.  A sweet little voice went on and on about I don't even know what.  I caught one thing: "Mema, it's my favorite."  She kept talking, (Lexi is a talker) and I tried to keep up - I had no idea what she was saying most of the time. I'm out of practice listening to and deciphering little ones, and it's even harder over the phone, but it was a wonderful thing to have her want to talk on and on to me.  I had sent her some Starburst flavored lip balms and apparently, they are her favorite thing.  Her mother said she would open one and smell it, and then put it on.  Awhile later she would open another and another.  How I wish I could have been there!
So you know what?  I'm going.  In May.  To Denver.  I haven't been there in awhile, and I need to go and spend some time with just them.  When they're here for the wedding it will be busy and there will be lots of people to attend to, so it won't be the same.  It will be a quick trip, but I'm excited to go and spend some time with them.  Hopefully the snow will be long gone by then. 
But isn't it amazing how such a small person can revitalize you after the toughest day?  The magic they perform is powerful and strong, and yet to them it is the most natural thing in the world.  Miracles of the heart are just part of their daily routine.

4 comments:

  1. Loved this post. I need to revel in these little ones while they're still here. Thanks for reminding me. We're headed outside to do some bubbles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, am I with you on this one! I can't tell you how often a call from one of my grandchildren melts my heart.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I should go check the mail...

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's still talking about her easter mail, and calling you! She's so happy! Love this post. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed