Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Summer and Gardens

How about this warm weather, huh?  (In So Cal anyway)  It's felt like the beginnings of summer the past couple of days.  I know it won't last right now, but it just gives you a hint of what's to come.  It's made me excited to go to Home Depot and buy six packs of flowers to pot. Pour Miracle Grow on everything and watch it all go crazy.  We have a bouganvilla plant on our porch.  Twice its all but died from the cold of winter.  This past winter we truly thought we'd lost it for good.  All the branches were just little dry sticks.  But the past couple of days with all the lovely sunny warmth, several little green leaves squeezed out, and I believe it's resurrected itself once again.  Maybe they always die back in the winter?  Anyone?  I just thought they stayed green year round, so I'm always surprised when it looks so dead, and then by the end of summer it's lush and green again.
I'm really looking forward to summer this year.  Summer means a wedding.  Family arriving. Grandkids running around.  Tea parties and games.  Late nights laughing with the girls,(for a week in June anyway) eating JoJos from Trader Joe's and drinking Diet Coke.  Beach days.  Bonfire nights.  No work for a whole week!
Later in the summer, I get to meet a blogging friend who will be here in the area with her family.  I'm very excited about that.  I'm planning a trip to Denver sometime this summer. We are negotiating dates as I speak.
Every day I trudge to work, becoming less enchanted with being there as each day passes.  For now, it's a necessity.  A means to an end.  What makes it all bearable are the magical days that weave into the monotony here and there.  A little travel, a lot of family, a milestone event bringing a new family member, little ones growing like beautiful flowers in a garden.  A new blogging friend, Robert Brault, (see his blog here) had this wonderful thought he wrote on his blog this week:


What is a gardener, after all, but a magician's assistant?

I loved that quote.  Every time a flower blooms, or a plant comes back to life, I feel like I've just assisted the Master in a mini creation.  It's the same with my family.  I know they are not my creation entirely - they have been who they are for a long, long time.  But I was honored to assist Heavenly Father in raising and loving them here on earth, and having some influence in the lives of the new little ones - in short, I have been lucky enough to have been the magician's assistant.

5 comments:

  1. I love the magician analogy. And lucky you for your summer plans. So . . . you've got a wedding too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that Robert Brault guy. He definitely has a way with words.

    And I'm looking forward to meeting in July, too! And summer in general...

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog! Can't wait to meet you and your family!!! Please send me an email tendershootz@gmail.com so we can set up a time and location for your shoot! Your co-worker booked a session with me in April, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen,
    Forgive me for being so late in appreciating your use of this thought. It's always a thrill to see something I said appear in the context of another's blog. Thanks.

    smiles,
    rb

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed