Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Friday, April 23, 2010

Birthday Wishes For Lexi

Today is Lexi's birthday and she's four years old.  I can remember the day she was born, and the excitement in her dad's voice when he called to tell us all about her.  Six weeks later I was in Denver, holding her for the first time.  I thought I would never get enough of her soft little cheeks.  I put her in her little carrier, and set her down near me while I painted the walls of her room with a mural of flowers and butterflies just for her.
I sang to her outside while watching the clouds blow across the blue sky.  We'd sit out there all by ourselves and watch the world together from her backyard.
It's hard because I live far away from her.  I have to hear about all the wonderful things she's learning and doing long distance.  Thank goodness for computers and cell phones and digital cameras!  I'm able to keep up pretty well thanks to technology, but it never makes up for the time spent together just playing.

The last time I was in Denver we went to the zoo and and such a fun day.  We played and played one night when mom and dad were out, and she ended up *trying* to go to sleep with me.  (Didn't work very well, but it was fun! Every time I'd look to see if she was sleeping, she was looking at me with her big eyes and she'd giggle.) 
She has been to California a few times since then, and we've had Christmas fun, and lots of playing fun with cousin Mia.  Last summer Lexi and Mia got very excited about the "manimal" sitting on a wall (A lizard! Sunning himself.)   I treasure every minute I get to spend with her, and hard as it is to see her grow up, it's one charming moment after another.  When one visit ends I can't wait for the next.
So I'm going in May for a quick visit.  We are going to play and play and play.  I'll have to stock up on lip balms because she tells me "They're my favorite, Mema." 
Happy Birthday Lexi!! I wish I were there to sing Happy Birthday to you, give you a big hug and kiss, and celebrate the day you came to earth with you and your family.  Words cannot express how much I love you, and how much I can't wait to see you in a few weeks.  And Mema is bringing some special surprises for you with her.



















PS: Today is the last day to enter my giveaway!  (See post below) 
Tomorrow I'll announce the winners! 

5 comments:

  1. Grandmas are the best. Especially bearing gifts. That's what my kids say, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty granddaughter- you are a very lucky grammy! We love grammy visits, especially when chap stick gifts are involved too- I don't think they ever grow out of that

    ReplyDelete
  3. I talked to Lexi today and she was so cute on the phone! ROnna was making her a cake and she was playing with all her princess stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurray, you are in for a treat...and so is Lexi! I admit to being the tiniest bit envious, but it IS your turn, after all. ;)

    Happily, I'm going back to So Cal at the end of May. And then...a whole week with the gang at the beach in July.

    It's hard to be the far-away grandma, isn't it? But boy, they sure get excited when you come!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is our favorite post! (Rex and mine, we're reading your blog together) Thank you for the sweet birthday post for our little angel. It brought tears to my eyes, and reminded me of her first few months of life. I just cant believe she is 4 years old now. I miss her really chubby cheeks from when she was a baby. We are really looking forward to your visit, we're going to have so much fun together. I'm so excited! I'll make sure to show Lexi your post all about her:)

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed