Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Black Potty Has Arrived!

The wedding is fast approaching - only 2 months to go!  Our bathroom remodel is in full swing, and needs to be completed before our daughter and granddaughters arrive to stay with us for the wedding festivities.  (Three girls and no bathroom of their own?  Unthinkable!)
Today there is a large stack of two different tiles in our garage, and the third "accent" tile is ready for pickup.  L has been busy every night after work, and all day on Saturday working on the sink console.  When finished we'll paint it black - L wants to try milk paint.  We've never used it before, but it has a nice, old world look to it, and that's what we're going for.  It seems like every time he makes a piece of furniture we do a different finish on it than on ones before. We're learning a lot, but it would be nice - just once - to do a finish we're comfortable with!  Oh well - it's fun learning new things too.
We have someone from our ward - a newly licensed general contractor - helping us with the remodel.  L designed a great logo for his new business, along with the business cards, etc., and he is giving us a great price on the construction end of things.  A win-win.  We're excited to have his help, as we were feeling a little helpless and confused before.
It seems like every day I come home from work that more things have arrived: a new black toilet, new towel bars, sink and shower fixtures, light fixtures.  It's like Christmas for the bathroom.  We still need to pick out granite for the sink topper, and a mirror.  Just wait until you see how everything looks all together.  When we finally get started I'll post some pictures of the different stages.  Until then, here is what's been going on this week:



















I know it's hard to see, but he's built all kinds of panels and the legs for the console.  He had it sort of put together this evening so I could see what it will look like.  It's going to be really pretty, but it's a little hard to see that from these pictures.  You'll have to trust me.
I also snapped a picture of this little gem:


It was my daughter's headboard and footboard when she was growing up.  We found it at a yard sale in Los Angeles one afternoon.  It's hand painted with a design that looks French to me, but I could be wrong.  It's a little beaten up, and could use some TLC, but I love it.  You can't see the painting on the headboard - you're looking at the back side in this picture, but it's really beautiful.  The main thing wrong with it is that (as it is now) there is nothing connecting the two pieces.  A clever carpenter could probably figure something out, but we just wedged the footboard around the twin mattress and frame and leaned the headboard against the wall.  The result of that is that the footboard got kicked over sometimes - it would be better if they were connected somehow.  Anyway, my daughter doesn't want it, (not her style) and we don't have anywhere to put it.  (Hence its in the garage...) Seriously, if anyone wants it, and you can come pick it up, you can have it.  It really is a pretty thing - it has a few scars, but the beauty outweighs them.  Lemme know if you're interested.

Now, back to the subject of weddings: the wedding presents have started to trickle in.  They're coming to my house, as both Scott and Ashley are living in apartments that are temporary.  When Scott moves in June to the one they'll share, they will collect their loot and take everything there.  In the meantime, my "office" is growing piles of interesting looking packages, and boxes beautifully wrapped and tied with ribbon.  So exciting!  Just the thought of this new family starting out in a couple of months makes me smile.  Partly from the sweetness of it all, and partly because I'll be able to call my room my own again.

6 comments:

  1. I know Zach LOVES it because it's solid wood! I may actually want it for Mia's bed, but how would we get it to AZ? Renee is giving me a twin bed and it really is a pretty piece. For some reason seeing it in your garage in this picture took me right back to childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Black toilet? I'm intrigued. Can't wait to see after photos.
    And aren't you tempted to open those packages? It's about all I can do to leave them alone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CAn't wait to see the finished bathroom. It sounds great. Glad to hear everything for the wedding is going good. Did your Grandma like the outfit?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe the wedding is getting so close! Time flies! Oh, and I love seeing pics of your projects! So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cant wait to see the new bathroom when we come visit. I remember when Rex and I were getting beautifully wrapped gifts like that! I loved it. That is so exciting. Oh how it seems like yesterday! What an exciting time for Scott and Ashley. So happy for them.

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed