Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Collecting Every Last Dollar

I've been a little incommunicado this week.  At work it's our 4th quarter/fiscal year end close.  And it's been a madhouse.  What it all means in my case, is that every bit of revenue lurking out there for our sales district needs to be gathered by hook or crook.  I've spent the last four days begging, cajoling, and groveling before various purchasing managers for purchase orders.  Today we had between $300 -400K left to collect and I managed to haul in a cool quarter million.  Nice haul.  I've got my sights set on the last holdouts for tomorrow - the most notorious misers being the Long Beach VA Hospital.  ANYTHING run by the state or government just hates to pay their bills - even though in this particular case they have possibly the nicest purchasing person I've ever talked to.  It's not her fault all of the people who sign off love to drag their feet.
Tomorrow is the last day of the quarter and fiscal year.  I have a cranky boss and stressed out sales reps.  I'll be glad to see it all end, so we can all move on to a calmer existence.  Till next time, anyway.  The silver lining in all of this is that, in the attempt to keep us chained to our desks and phones, we've been treated to nice lunches all week, so we don't have to leave the office to forage.  Tomorrow it's my boss's turn to buy, and it's Cafe Rio.  Sweet.  I almost don't care about anything else as long as I can have my pork barbacoa.
Right after I limped home tonight, L rolled in, and behind him came Contractor Lance.  He and L are installing the hardy board in preparation for tile.  Things are moving right along.  The shower got hot mopped the other day, and has successfully held water without leaking for the past two days.  I love Contractor Lance.
Last night L was stewing about the fact that he couldn't find a granite countertop at a decent price.  Home Depot was charging way too much in his opinion and online options didn't have the selection he wanted.  I suggested Lowe's.  We went, found exactly what we wanted at about a third of the price of Home Depot.  Plus, the young man who helped us knew his stuff.  Home Depot seemed to only have bewildered employees when it came to ordering granite, or else they just weren't anywhere in sight.  I was proud to have come up with the awesome decision to try Lowe's.  I kind of rubbed it in to L the whole night.  Actually, Lowe's did our kitchen remodel and it's beautiful.  I was frankly surprised he hadn't thought of it himself.  Oh well - all the online surfing for towel bars and sinks and black toilets has addled him a bit.
So here are the latest pictures of progress:



The recently hot mopped shower & hardy board being laid on the floor


Contractor Lance (l) and L (r) hard at work
I wish L had shorts on - he has those sturdy calves going on just like Contractor Lance


The bathroom cabinet with one coat of black paint
Are you starting to see how the black toilet and black sink fit in?  L is all about black.


The kalanchoe on my porch is in bloom.  Isn't it pretty?
Yeah, I know - it has nothing to do with the bathroom.  It's just pretty, so I had to take a picture.

So there you have it.  The latest bathroom development at our house.  And some pretty flowers.  It will sustain me as I trudge down to Mission Viejo tomorrow in my quest for revenue dollars.  Five o'clock won't come soon enough tomorrow, and I know that I'll leave my poor boss licking his wounds (it was kind of a miserable quarter), and I'll feel guilty that I'm so darn happy to get out of there.  Cafe Rio will make up for a lot, though.

4 comments:

  1. Kalanchoe is one of those plants that I'd love to be able to grow. Stupid AZ.
    Can't wait to see the bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, have you ever been busy!

    I wish you luck today...And I'm glad you can look forward to the "restorative" lunch at Cafe Rio.

    That bathroom is going to be GREAT. Can't wait to see the finished product.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to take a shower in your new bathroom this summer! Can't wait to see the black toilets too :) Everything looks great so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh- to be able to remodel a bathroom- or any room- would be glorious. It looks great, I can't wait to see it finished.

    p.s. the bag came- thank you a million times over- it's perfectly lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed