Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Mama Needs a New Dress

Sitting here on the eve of my 3 day weekend, I'm filled with anticipation of all of the chores and fun things I'm going to get done.  I could hardly wait to get out of work today and start relaxing - I find I get impatient to shed the daily grind and get on with my true, real life.
In my last post I talked about the sweetness of talking with our Lexi on the phone.  A couple of nights later, I heard the message from Mia - "Mema, thanks for the lips and the card. I love you Mema!"  She had received her Starburst lip balms in Puerto Rico just in time for Easter.  A minor miracle.  Here is a picture of her in her Easter dress:


So what's on the agenda this weekend?  L finally came to the realization that the hall bathroom was not going to remodel itself.  So the demolition is finally complete and he's started in on making the sink console.  We've talked to 2 contractors so far, and will see a third over the weekend.  We need someone to do the plumbing part, and the tile part.  So the decision on who will be the lucky winner will need to be made so the work can begin.  We will go to tile places until we pick out the tiles for the shower floor.
We really need to do some gardening: fertilize everything and maybe pick up some flowers to brighten the patio up.  It's looking a little iffy out there.
I need to find a dress for the wedding reception.  I haven't even started looking yet.  I don't even have an idea of where to begin.  I suppose the thing to do is to simply start somewhere.  I'm not a very good shopper, and I'm not in the kind of shape where I can wear just anything. (I think that's at the root of my hesitation, if we're being truthful here.  And we are.  Always.)  So if anyone has seen something in either an eggplant shade or turquoise, let me know.  I have a vague notion to find something bohemian-ish - loose and flowing, but it's sort of like a shadow-y vague image - nothing concrete.  I just know whatever it is should be loose through the middle, or maybe a long skirt with a flowy top over it.  It definitely has to have at least three quarter sleeves (my upper arms are not to be shown), and it should make me look cute and darling.  So... anyone?  Anyone??  I have a feeling I'm going to have to branch out from my happy place at Ann Taylor or Ann Taylor Loft.
Somewhere during the weekend I'd like to fit in a yoga class, and I am most decidedly getting my hair colored.  And a facial.  I've been saving my pennies for that.  A sweet indulgence.
One other thing to shop for: some special occasion clothes for my grandma.  Grandma is almost 99.  She is planning on attending not one, but two weddings in June for two great grandchildren - one of them my Scott.  She won't buy new clothes because, in her words, "I won't be around long enough to wear them out."  Practical through and through, but oh how she loves a bright pink or purple anything.  My theory is that you don't ask her permission - you just buy something and beg forgiveness later.  So she is on my list as well.  She and my aunt (who cares for her) are two of the most special ladies you could ever meet. In my family, they are known as The Girls.  A wedding wouldn't be a wedding without them.  You could say the the prospect is an iffy one, but I'm telling you right now that Grandma never likes to miss a good party.  My bet's on her.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, how I feel your pain on this one. Wedding dress shopping is not for the faint of heart, that's for sure. I'm sorry to say that I found mine at Loft, but I just had to have black, so it was a little easier. Eggplant or turquoise pose challenges. Good luck, and we'll want to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a darling eggplant skirt with blousey-ish top and bohemian-type flow (really cute and kinda hip but still dressy due to the fabric) for Karin's wedding. I got it online! And I wish I could remember the name of the shop. But I absolutely loved it and got so many compliments. Plus, it was super comfortable. Anyway, it was by Timeless Beauty Collectibles. I'll bet if you googled that, you could find a shop that carries them.

    Your granddaughter is lovely, as always, and it's great that your lip smackers got there in time. Our Carli loves those, too.

    I am looking forward, like you, to conference weekend. More than I can say. Easter and conference (and Dave's 60th birthday tomorrow) are giving me that Disneyland feeling.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this photo of your granddaughter... they are pretty girls and I feel lucky to get a chance to photograph them soon!!!

    Still checking into locations... I will get back to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness I don't have to find a dress and that Ashley is getting it made for me! I do have to find shoes though, which is always hard since my feet are so moody! Anyway Mia had fun making cupcakes today, she'll call ya again later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck. I don't like clothes shopping.

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed