Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Good Book/Bad Sunburn

The weekend flew by and much too soon it's a school day again.  Back to company emails and collecting POs, and doing my boss' last minute powerpoint slides for the district meeting tonight.  The one thing that made me smile was to remember that this week is a short 4 day work week - yesssssss...
Did I mention in the last post that I sat out on the patio on Monday reading magazines in between wash loads?  It felt so good to be out in the good sunshine, soaking up a few rays.  Unfortunately, I soaked up more than just a few, and today I am a little crispy.  My thighs, which rarely see the light of day, are a bright and angry red, while my chest and shoulders are just kind of smoldering.  Ouch.  I hope I don't peel. Double ouch.


Besides reading magazines this weekend, I also read Braden Bell's soon to be released book "The Road Show."  Some of you may have read Sue's review of his book here.  Braden was kind enough to let me read the pdf as well, and I couldn't stop.  Luckily, it's not a long book, or I would have been sitting her all night reading by computer light.  It's a story that you need to be LDS to really understand all of the nuances and jargon, but Braden is a genius at portraying human nature, with all of it's failings as well as it's noble side.  And he does it in a way that is not trite or silly, the way so many pieces of LDS fiction are.  So many of the storylines just made me go "Oh yeah.... I've felt just like that."  I was rooting for the characters throughout - each one of them flawed, yet immensely likeable, just like most of us.  Who among us hasn't crossed the street, or looked the other way to avoid having contact with an annoyingly needy neighbor or acquaintance?  How many of us have felt secret despair at our continuous, relentless weaknesses and shortcomings?  Hopefully, just as many of us have felt the sweetness when faith and hard work come together, and we have a quick interlude with an inspirational prompting, or an answer to a prayer.  These are the things which make up "The Road Show."  We watch a small group of very ordinary people struggle with insecurities, transgression, and thoughts of "what's in it for me?" until they each, in their own way, discover what it means to overcome self, realize how vast our Heavenly Father's love is, and transfer that knowledge into service and love for others.  I found it to be bittersweet and triumphant, without resorting to portraying the characters like Sunday School morality lesson cartoons.  I found them all to be realistic, and in a few of them I saw myself.  I imagine most of us could.  Bottom line is: get the book.  It's on Amazon, and the release date is, I think, June 8th.  It's the kind of book you can read in an afternoon, and then pass it on to just about anyone you know - even your YM/YW kids.  Maybe especially them.  I don't pretend to know how to really review this book - look to Sue's review for that.  I just know I enjoyed it.  It made me feel good while reading it, and when I finished it I felt even better, because it affirmed the fact that we're not alone in our weaknesses, and we're all here to help each other get through.  In fact, we owe it to each other to help one another get through.  Hop on over to Amazon and read a few sample pages for yourself, and you'll see what I mean.  Then order it!  You'll thank me for the suggestion.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the boook review! I'll definitely read this one.

    Soooo sorry to hear about your sunburn. Sure hope you feel better very soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops, I meant book, not boook.
    hahaha ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed Braden's book, too. I think he's done a good job, and I even bought two books so I can give one away.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Karen! What a great way to start my morning off. I'm so glad you liked it, and I really appreciate you taking the time to blog about it and help get the word out there. Thanks--and sorry about the sunburn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sunburns are the worst- they last so much longer than I think they should. Glad you found a good book- there's nothing better than a warm sunny day and a good book

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed