Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Wedding

The morning of the wedding was sunny, but nice and cool - perfect.  We were up, dressed, and down to the Newport Beach temple in plenty of time.  Everyone remembered their temple recommends - astounding.  Katie had been told that all of the bridesmaids were to wear their hair up, so she sweated and struggled, and did a really nice job of it.  (The other bridesmaids had their hair done by a stylist, but Katie had the little girls, and the stylist was charging quite a lot for it besides, so she opted out)  The other bridesmaids showed up, and all of them had their hair down and curled.  A last minute decision that no one informed Katie about.  Oh well.  Move on.  Sort of de rigeur by that point.
As is usual, the wedding was a bit late in starting.  I'd heard there was a little drama with the bride's mother, but tried to not think about it, other than feel relieved that I wasn't involved in it.  Then the bride's father came down and said there'd been a misunderstanding: when he and the mother had gotten married, they had given each other the temple clothes as a wedding gift.  Apparently, everyone thought that Ashley and Scott would do the same.  Hmmmm... I'd gotten Scott some new ones for his birthday a week before...  Ashley's were never mentioned.  Sooooo... long story short, Ashley got to the temple to get ready and had no temple clothes.  DRAMA.  Her mother ran back to the hotel and got hers, so all was well eventually.  I felt bad for Scott, as I'm sure he was on the receiving end of some real stinkeye from the mother in law - heretofor MIL.
We trooped into the sealing room and got settled.  In a few minutes we heard a rustle of Chantilly lace and silk, and Ashley came into the room.  Amazing.  Gorgeous.  Beautiful beyond words.  Wide-eyed too.  Scott was right after (the dress had a big skirt and only one could come through the door at a time).  The ceremony began, and it was really really nice.  Things were spoken of that I had never thought of before, and apparently no one else had either, as everyone commented later on how much they'd learned.  It was a little long, however, and soon my 99 year old grandmother took a little snooze.  She was behind some people though, so it was not obvious.  I imagined her having celestial dreams of my grandfather, gone these many years.  
Soon it was over, and we all stood to give our hugs, kisses, and congratulations.  Such joy, and such overflowing feelings!  My son looked as if his most precious dreams had come true, and indeed, they had.  He glowed.  And Ashley was beautiful - overwhelmed maybe, but beautiful.
We went outside to wait.  And we waited, and waited.  And waited some more.  While we waited, I took a picture with Ashley's sister Tia, and Ba (her grandmother):

Ba and I became good friends on the way to the temple earlier in the week.  She has a wonderful sense of humor, and we were kindred spirits.  Tia is lovely - just 13 years old, can you believe that?

We heard a commotion, and out came Ashley and Scott:

This isn't the greatest shot ever, but you can get the idea.  Bear in mind that we are not a picture taking family (except for Katie, and she was a bridesmaid).  If Katie is out of commission, there are little to no pictures, and certainly no great ones.    So please excuse the shortage, and when I have some of the professional ones, I'll be sure to post them.

The usual round of exhausting pictures followed, with flower girls melting down left and right.  They had these pomander balls of eggplant colored carnations held by a turquoise ribbon handle that were losing their blooms left and right.  Note: pomander balls are not sturdy enough for small girls to swing around by the ribbons.)  Mia and her cousin Lexi had fun running around, picking temple flowers (shhh...don't tell) and enjoying Ashley's "princess" dress.  
Off to the luncheon.  Everyone was hungry, and there was a great buffet luncheon provided back at the hotel.  Soon everyone at the temple, as well as other family members who were here were enjoying a much needed lunch.  Small children and young mothers were refreshed.  Grandmas and mothers of the groom were refreshed.  The mother of the bride was refreshed and in a good mood.  (Whew!)  The father in law?  He was always in a good mood.  I wasn't sure how the bridal couple was doing, but at that point it was every man for himself.  Except for me.  I'd promised to watch Mia all afternoon so Katie could catch up on some much needed sleep.  So Mema got no nap or rest a-a-a-ll afternoon.  We did watch Despereaux and had a picnic/tea party.  At the appointed time, Katie zoomed by to pick up Mia (I'd brushed her hair and tried to spruce her up) and was back off to the hotel for the ring ceremony.  We were just minutes behind, as I hadn't had a chance to get ready myself.  I did a quick blowout of my hair, changed into my reception dress, and off we went into the eye of the hurricane.  

To be continued...


  1. I'm exhausted just reading this. But WOW. She looked beautiful.
    What a day.
    Can't wait for the rest.

  2. It sounds like it was a whirlwind! One thing after another after another- it's a wonder everyone managed to stay sane.

    That was a lovely picture of them- he looks like he couldn't take his eyes off of her and appropriately so!

  3. As I read this, it's all coming back to me...the happiness AND the hectic-ness!

    Again, can't wait for the next installment.

    (Hope your photo session today goes well...)



Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed